NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u know how corals need mag alk and calc and phosphate? does that apply for fish also?? cause i know fish do better with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and low nitrates...and ph.. i have the essiental tests for nitrite nitrate and ph and ammonia, but not for alsk mag calc or phosphate.. it really won;t matter for hardy fish like clowns or gobys rite?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
you need to keep a proper balance of mag alk and cal, and yes fish do absorb it, and if you plan on keeping corals you will need those to know where levels are

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to keep a proper balance of mag alk and cal, and yes fish do absorb it, and if you plan on keeping corals you will need those to know where levels are

i will get them testsed and probably buy a kit for it also =).... is it very important for fish? or just minor? and what test kits do you reccomend? what do u keep ur params for calc alk and mag at? i might make my tank fowlr cause the whole coral thing is getting expensive...

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not that is important as they will get this from eating. for test kits either elos or salifert, i dont suggest cheaping out for less expensive one's either, and the whole hobby becomes expensive, factor food, electric, salt, and so on

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
u know how corals need mag alk and calc and phosphate? does that apply for fish also?? cause i know fish do better with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and low nitrates...and ph.. i have the essiental tests for nitrite nitrate and ph and ammonia, but not for alsk mag calc or phosphate.. it really won;t matter for hardy fish like clowns or gobys rite?
If i understand you correctly Phosphate causes slime algae and such.A no ,no in a reef tank or any tank for that matter.Phosphate should be kept as low as possible.
Secondly, pH should always be kept at 8.1 -8.4 buring the day cycle in a marine quaria.Marine fishes are very sensitive to Ph and can die suddenly if pH falls too low.
Third,even if you are using the cheapest salt mix, that will be sufficent for a fish only tank.Just remember to check pH and add buffers to bring it up if needed.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i will get them testsed and probably buy a kit for it also =).... is it very important for fish? or just minor? and what test kits do you reccomend? what do u keep ur params for calc alk and mag at? i might make my tank fowlr cause the whole coral thing is getting expensive...
Cal,Mag and Alk is not that important in a fish only tank unless you need an abundance of caroline algae as you will soon find out.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
If you are not keeping corals you don't need the other tests. Ammonia and nitrites has to be zero. Try to keep nitrates down below .20. For fish the main thing is keeping things steady and that includes temprature and salt levels.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: