• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

ericcarlsoc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting 4 metal halide with 4 t8 blue actinic and 8 moon light for my 155 bow front aquarium.

how many hours a day do i need to run my metal halide lights i have a reef tank but i dont want to have to use a chiller so i was thinking about 2 hours in the moring and 4 hours in the after noon of metal halide and that would cut down on the heat of my water. my lights im getting have 2 fans on them also

any suggestions on how long i should keep my metal halide and blue actinics on during the day.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
How much watts are the MH ?And why do you need four ?Some people run the MH for 4-5 hours in the Summer and 6-7 hours in the Winnter months or your day cycle can start at 3-4 pm when the day is cooler.This doesn't mean you will not need a chiller at some point.

ericcarlsoc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights specs

Odyssea 72" 1134W Metal Halide System with Power Compact

?3x External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast with Power Switch
?Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballasts
?6x Power Cord (Ideal for Separate Timer Setup)
?3x Power Switch on Fixture (1 - CF, 1 - LEDs, 1 - Cooling Fan)
?Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
?Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
?Tempered Glass and Clear Acrylic Lens Covers
?Highly Polished Reflector
?Mounting Legs Included

so i should only have my metle halide on like 2 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours in the evenings so i dont over heat my water

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
i understand but want that make my water to hot and then ill need a chiller because i dont want to have to get one

Then you will need to consider a different type of lighting like T5's or LED.

It is strongly not suggested to turn your lights on & off at various times for hours at a time.
Better to run them late in the day when it is cooler outside, but with 4 MH's, you will need a chiller unless the room has A/C on 24/7/365.

xvinny631x

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
have the light cycle start with 2 mh's on say 10 to 12 oclock then all 4 on from 12 to 2 oclock and back to 2 mhs from 2 to 4 oclock.. Kinda confusing but im tryin here lol

ericcarlsoc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i said i have 4 mh light but i only got 3 mh lights i wasing thinking about 3 hours from 8 to 11 then 2-6 then turn them off and leave the blue actinic on from 8am to 9 pm and then after that turn off blue actinic and cut on moon lights how does this sound it is any good or not

T

THEDLO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use 2 fans in the sump to keep my temp low....hi lo temp; 80, 78

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The hobby is expensive. Our job is to try to maximize the experience and not the expense. The consequence of mh is heat transfer, no avoiding it. If your home is cool or colled by central AC then maybe you have a chance. As Kathy wrote maybe you should consider alternative lighting. Many people have excellent growth of SPS on T5's, and LEDs. Of course other things factor in such as tank chemistry (Ca Alk Mg), maintenance, and controlling all the circumstances of the tank for excellent conditions provided for your corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: