• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was a little curious today, I just got some new corals and thought that they may bring some more color to my tank, however once I put them in my tank it seemed that a lot of the color of the corals very desaturated under my lighting. The light that I currently have is the Viper K2 70 Watt hang on light with 70 watt metal halide bulb. I have attached an image of the light bulb I'm not sure if it will help answer the question but it's there. I was wondering how to get more colors to show up in my tank. I understand that LED lighting gives a completely different look, however, I was wondering what my options were, whether or not there was a better option... Would I need a new light, or could I change the type of bulb in there to get different lighting. Also, can this affect the growth habits of my corals or have any kind of negative impact.

On the bulb it says:

Jia Ming
220-240V 70W

Attachments

• 20101004_0042.JPG
    20101004_0042.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 92

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I would add a few actinic blue leds to your existing light to bring out the colors of your corals. Also a higher K rating bulb will have more of a bluish look to it, for example if your using a 10k bulb try switching to 14 or 20k bulb.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either you change your 70w to a 20K or add 4 LEDs for a nano for use as a color enhancer for your corals. Be sure you use Royal Blues which are more on the UV band of 450 nanometers to give corals that pop. Similar effect that of black lighting but more on the blue spectrum.

Either that or you can opt to go completely an LED fixture if that is an investment you're willing to take on. Your tank looks like a 14g BioCube? An LED fixture of 36w would do (if 3w LEDs then 6 white and 6 blues)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: