M

MR.Oscar

Okay have my first tank up and running, now im working on my 55g(FOWLR) but I will be adding a anemone to this one, what would you suggest I use for lighting so I can get it now and not worry about up grading later:)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

M

MR.Oscar

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No...... I'm not thinking about putting one in now, shooooot im only 2 days into the tank lolz I say by x-mess I'll be ready hopefully to put fish in but I just want to know so I can pick up the light and other equipment before hand, that's All :)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Watts per gallon is a very disputed rule.

I have a BTA under T5 but it is placed half way up and is very content. With the right bulbs and unit you could use a 4 bulb T5.

M

MR.Oscar

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I look up LED lights at???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I look up LED lights at???

It all depends on if you're planning on a FOWLR only or upgrading in the future to a reef tank. There are many brands available, some way over priced and some is moderately priced. You always want the best bang for your buck.

Be sure you you get enough lux as well as PAR of a minimum of 300 which is what is required by corals. Aquarium Magazine has a good article on LEDs.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Watts per gallon is a very disputed rule.

I have a BTA under T5 but it is placed half way up and is very content. With the right bulbs and unit you could use a 4 bulb T5.

Why is that Barrie?? Give a reason why its disputed, do not just use your own opine...
Exception to the rule would be under LEDS that I can see. So now it becomes Candella, Lumes, Par... and volts for LED's.
Possibly..... another will be for custom built deep tanks.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Why is that Barrie?? Give a reason why its disputed, do not just use your own opine...
Exception to the rule would be under LEDS that I can see. So now it becomes Candella, Lumes, Par... and volts for LED's.
Possibly..... another will be for custom built deep tanks.

The watt per gallon thing isn't very good because it doesn't cover intensity, spread, efficiency, and heat. It's not only with LEDs. Goes for every different type of lighting.:eek:

Last edited:
M

MR.Oscar

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Soooooo what you guys are saying is that my (2.2 GIGA-WATTS) light bulb is not a good idea :) j/k but I'm starting to get the drift ...

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Jackson... kind of lost there with what you stated... my rule of thumb, as mentioned earlier covers spread and intensity. Ex: 220gallon tank @ 5 wattas per gallon = 1,100 Watts. A typical reefer would look into purchasing a 72" fixture. Standard fixtures usually come with for that size tank with 3, 250's MH with supplimental actinics of 96Watt PC's or T5's. (Total = 942Watts) So if you divide the TW(total watts=942) by the TS(tank size) you get 4.28 watts per gallon. Again 3-5watts per gallon rule.
We can even go with smaller tanks and it's pretty much the same thing with the fixture's that the Manufacturer makes. Like the 2 250's with four 65watt Pc's or T5's. There's a rule. That's why these fixtures are made.

As far as intensity which equals lum's, candella, etc etc... the Bulbs are usually 10,000k. (White & Red Spectrum). The supplimental PC's or T5's come in Actinics(Blue Spectrum)to reach further down the tank and simulate the 420- 460nano's rating index.
Spread... well thats more complicated and factors are involed in this equation.
Efficiency..... Hell NOOOOO !! Not MH's !! But excellent growth compared to T5's. Which is faster for growth?? MH's, or T5"s... My opine is MH's.

Heat..... that's a funny one. Why did you have to mention that. Again that was included as part of your opine and mine now. We all know how much MH's can raise tank temps, especially in the summer. But winter time they can prevent your tank temp from dropping during the day during the cold winter months.
Now you have retro's and DIY's so there are equations and other things involved in that aswell.
I agree to an extent that it depends on what type of lighting, aswell as what you plan to keep in your tank that determines what lighting you should get aswell as how you are doing with cash flow.

Like I stated earlier.... my rule of thumb that I follow.

Ask what my tank looks like to thoose who have seen it in person. Thus my rule...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with Ozone regarding the formula of watts per gallon IF you are using MH, VHO, PC or T5. The reason that method in my opinion, whether its a fact or not is due to with the wattage of a given light source coincides with the lux/lumens output and eventually even PAR. What corals need is more important than high lux/lumens which is PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) the light spectrum required by corals to synthesize sugars during photosynthesis. That is why actinics are so important. 450-460nanometers have the highest PAR of the spectrum.

lux/lumens is a measurement of visible light's brightness, while generally MH has extremely high lux which is a bit deceiving since most of that high lux is wasted on heat. And the brightest lux emits in the spectrum of yellow, orange and green which has the lowest PAR values.

Other methods of lighting such as LED targets usable PAR spectrums even though their lumens are lower than MH, they still achieve high PAR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: