bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
so im havin a phosphate issue,,,and i bought one of these reactors(thanks russ) at the swap ,,vendors told me which pump to use,,,,so i figure i would ask everyone what they have been using,, the instructions say to use 20-30gph as the recommended flow rate. thank in advance

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The instructions on the TLF Reactor state the media should appear to boil on the surface. It isnt a GPM flow more than a visual confirmation.
Any pump would work as long as you can adjust the flow down to the range of flow that would work.

Last edited:

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
on the instrustions,,,it said reccomended to use a maxiijet 500, im not sure about these pumps,,but i was looking at the mag2's instead now im just comparing gph between both of them

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have to throttle back my MJ 606 more than halfway. Those are way too powerful and you will waste a lot of power.

Either Tee off your return or scale down the pump.

Either way, keep in mind if you shut your reactor down for routine maintenance of your sump then the water in your reactor will rapidly stagnate and may render the GFO unusable after a few hours. If this happens and you dont flush that through you could create problems.

I keep mine running all the time no matter what is happening in my sump.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Guys sorry for being nosey but can u run phosphate media on a hang on back filters like the aquaclear 70 types?

I would never personally run any phosphate media in any piece of equipment where I couldn't visually see how the flow makes it tumble, or react in the chamber.

Phosban Reactors are inexpensive enough (only about $37) to purchase and do it properly than to chance crashing your entire system with GFO run improperly.

HTH,
Russ

BTW, not nosy. If you feel that way, next time just start a thread of your own. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: