justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The last two weeks I've had a diatom bloom in my fluval edge. I'm about 7 weeks into having the tank setup. I've not fed my fish for 2 days and have had the light off for 2 days also. The algae seems to be much less but I'm wondering when is enough time with the lights off that it won't just explode with algae again? Should I gradually start by only exposing some light little by little? 2hrs of light, then 4hr then 6 then back to a full 8hrs?

Here's a video of my tank, you can't see it that well.

http://www.justinhowley.com/photosandmovies/IMG_0044.MOV

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Diatoms are actually not an algae- this link may help you out. Good luck. Also they are a natural occurence I had them after my cycle was pretty much done also. It will pass, just stay very diligent about your water changes and other maintenance and itll just be one stage that you go through with the tank.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa091100.htm

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks, a lot of the terms are confusing. It even states in there diatom algae...lol. I picked up three hermits and have lept the lights on for just 6 hrs and ... no more algae!!!!

Good deal- just keep in mind- since you changed the light cycle to a lot less and therefore killed off what you had goin on when you reintroduce the full light cycle again it quite possibly may come back. You need to with stuff like algaes or cyanobacteria(red slime) find out what caused it in the first place-phosphates, nitrates, etc. Just starving it of light which is one piece of the puzzle for algaes to live doesnt take away the nutrients in which the algae will live off of given the correct amount of light again to sustain life.

Once you get that under wraps it will go away with a full light cycle. Until you get to that point you havent completely whooped it. Again hang in there diatoms, green hair- are all things youll wind up getting from time to time when the tank is in different stages.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: