Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front, I want it to be a SPS tank. Now the problem is I don't know how much flow I sould have in the tank. Here are some of my questions.

1.) I plan on ordering a overflow kit from glass-holes they have a nano rated up to 300gph, and a 700gph one which would be better for my application? I will be running power heads too.

2.) What size should the return bulk head be?

more questions to come once these are answered.

-kevin

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
2 tunze 6025's can always mod them later if you need more flow, dollar for dollar these are the best ph on the market and you can aim them, and go with larger overflow better to have more then not enough, i really dont count my return as flow as i dont run a high flow sump, it leaves less tim for water in fuge to do it's job and pulls so fast past skimmer

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
2 tunze 6025's can always mod them later if you need more flow, dollar for dollar these are the best ph on the market and you can aim them, and go with larger overflow better to have more then not enough, i really dont count my return as flow as i dont run a high flow sump, it leaves less tim for water in fuge to do it's job and pulls so fast past skimmer

+1

If your new go with a cheaper powerheads- you can get the expensive toys later when you feel comfortable, or you may keep those forever. I would not go without powerheads in my a tank. Livestock need flow and most powerheads especially for smaller tanks the casing around the propellor are small enough that nothing will get sucked in and die. If your really worried about it you can get a maxi jet with a sure flow kit and wrap gutter guard mesh around it and nothing will get sucked in.

Like Rick said go bigger rather than smaller on the overflow- no matter what your overflow can flow it will only keep up with your return pump. You set the return pump flow to the amount you want and that will be your flow. If you have a 1000 gallon an hour overflow and your return pump throttle back to 200 GPH your overflow will only do 200GPH.

Best of luck with your tank.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
first off is this a glass tank or acrylic, the overflows from glass holes have to be drilled. the 700 has a platform of 2x6x6 1/4, if you have the room i would suggest this one. it has a 1 1/2" bulkhead and can handle 700 gallons an hour with no problem. the recommended flow in a tank is made up of 2 factors, 1 being the amount of flow for filtration, and 2 being flow within the tank. I personally don't recommend having more then 10 times for filtration, as this would cause a lot of micro bubbles going back into your dt. what size is your sump. If you are doing sps I would recommend 20x turnover, 15x for lps and 10x softies. What is your head height, this will tell you what kind of pump you would use. After you figure this out then you would supliment the balance with power heads. (This is my own opinion)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I hav drawn out sketches and this is what the piping will look like to and from the tank (they will be mimics of each other).

From Overflow to sump: Overflow box > 90 degree elbow > 36" straight tube > 90 degree elbow > 10" straight tube into sump

Return to Tank: the exact opposite

And yes, I do know that the tank needs to be drilled with that kit, I planned on drilling the tank all along. Much easier in the long run, (IMO), I will be ordering the kit tonight, should be here next week sometime. Just to clarify it's the 700GPH kit.

Now question.

1.) Does the plumbing I described sound like an ok way of doing things?
2.) What size pump should I get? I have been looking at ViaAqua's and Quiet One pumps.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I would recommend using 45 degree elbows instead of 90.
I personally don't like to use pvc, just for safety reasons, I use all flex tubes just in case i hit it or the sump moves. And also it is easier to change tubing then to re-glue everything. + on the koralias.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you dont bump it- although i just moved my tank 10 feet the other day, all my plumbing is pvc- no issues. Youll be fine- pvc is non toxic- and as long as you let the cement and primer to fully cure- youll have no issues either. Good luck with it

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will vinyl tubing work just the same? Because I can get that with my big shipment from Drs. and save on shipping. DO you have an pictures of your plumbing rkaragozler?

P.S. Just placed my order for 1x 700gph overflow kit, with matching glass-holes.com t-shirt ;)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I know you didnt rk- just wanted to point it out to him- when I was new and someone pointed out one product is non toxic- I wondred if other stuff was at all.

Cool, good to hear acro youll be good to go man have fun with it and enjoy your t shirt lol

vinyl tubing is fine to use too, I would just if using vinyl where your lighting will hit it use black vinyl- cuts down on where algae can grow.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you think 20 would be enough order 30- I usually do that with everything. I used pvc with my tank, but I bought more of that than I thought I needed as well. You can always put it to use later on- when you ad reactors or other things such as an ATO- auto top off so buying more than you need cant hurt.

Youd be surprised how quick footage gets eaten up and youll scratch your head sayin how the heck did I use that much? lol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow has been shipped.

Now what pump should I use if I am using about 4 foot of vinyl tubing running to a PVC J-tube as the return? I really want to use a ViaAqua as I love these pumps, bu I am open to other inputs on pumps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: