Oholic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
OK So i started my 29g soon to be reef... My parameters are great recently took a sample to the Bklyn Zoo to have them test it again! The tank contains a 2 x24w HOT5 running a coralife 65 skimmer and a amircale wet/dry... I recently took some LR and added it into the system... The LR seems to have algae growing on it... Should I be worried or just leave it alone? The coraline that was covering the rock is now emersed under the algae... Should I add new rock w.o signs of this?

Last edited:

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
OK So i started my 29g soon to be reef... My parameters are great recently took a sample to the Bklyn Zoo to have them test it again! The tank contains a 2 x24w HOT5 running a coralife 65 skimmer and a amircale wet/dry... I recently took some LR and added it into the system... The LR seems to have algae growing on it... Should I be worried or just leave it alone? The coraline that was covering the rock is now emersed under the algae... Should I add new rock w.o signs of this?

its cool that the zoo tests ur water for you :tongueani

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0

its cool that the zoo tests ur water for you :tongueani

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi Oholic,

Can you post some more information about the tank?

Algae is not necessarily something to worry about, and adding more rock is definitely not the solution to that particular problem. If your tank is cycling, algae is perfectly normal. If you are trying to reduce your algae, it will depend what kind of algae you have, what water you're using, your clean up crew, phosphate reduction techniques... I guess you see why we need more info.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Invest in your own test kits...fosters and smith has them at reasonable prices compared to the LFS's.

Word of advice..stay away from the redsea kits..I'm sure they are good and all but the gradation of the results color chart are hard to decipher..(one blue looks like the other 2 blues). Learned this the hard way.

Spend a little more and get maybe a Salifert.

Give us some more parameters on the tank...NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4, PH, KH, Specific Gravity and I'm sure we can give you some good advice to clean that tank up.

Good luck.

Oholic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Pics

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 59

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: