• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
hey guys,, so i just started my sump,refugium and ik have a fishy smell in my living room where my tank is,,,,i never had this smell unless i had a dead fish. i have no dead fish,,all accounted for, everything was brand new that i put in except the skimmer i bought from a fellow member(thanks nanchill) but even that didnt smell bc it was sitting in my spare room and neva stunk like this. its been 2 days ,,and still cant find it. any suggestions???

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Is your skimmer exhaust being filtered?
My overflow canister has a carbon stack the air goes through before it vents into the room. Without that I notice a bad smell.

my skimmer does not have a carbon stack,, but my skimmer is clean and i always had my other skimmer and it neva stunk up the room,,,grr this is killin me,, my house smells like fish,,lol

i feel like im walkin into the lfs

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
LaurieC said:
Get a box of baking soda or they make refrigerator baking soda things. Open the box and put it in the room--it will absorb the bad odor. Don't get any in your tank though.

Ok thanks ,, I'll put one behind my tank , hopefully it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
dr tims make a product called "refresh" and it worked really good for me. i won it at the raffle at the swap in the famous gift baskets lol. i gave it a shot, my girlfriend said she does not smell anything anymore. and its skimmer friendly! thats always a plus!

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Well it's been 5 days ,, and the smell is here , I'm not runnin carbon and I'm goin to try that ,, and get a box of baking soda and put it close to my tank

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
For me, I had a smell, when things have die-off. Like when curing live rock and live sand. So I would have you check your ammonia and nitrites which should be 0 !!!

In addition, even if you don't measure ammonia or nitrite in tank, there could still be die-off. If this is the case, in a short period of time, your tank should return to normal, as long as your tank parms are good and there is no coral die-off.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Well I'm leaning to it to be my live sand ,, I'm waiting a cpl more days ,, and then immA put baking soda on the side of my tank to absorb the smell untill the smell leaves the new live sand. I just really hope Thats what's it is, all fish, snails and everything else is accounted for in my tank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: