Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I have an Eclipse System 12 aquarium that I've been running for about 8 months... For a while now I have had a clamp on k2 Viper Light 70 watt. All is great and everything is doing fine in the system. However, since I am not using the original hood lighting, my light projects a shadow of the crossbeam along the top of my tank onto my corals. I was hoping to solve this problem by getting some sort of canister filter that would allow for me to eliminate the filter on the top of the tank and give me the ability to sit a new filter on the ground and thus having a rimless top. Does anyone have any suggestions about a cheap canister filter that would be a good for me. I am really open to any kind of idea as long as it is cheap!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I wouldnt do a canister personally- if not cleaned out enough they can be huge nitrate traps. Just set up a sump. You can taylor it to your system and equipment. I just dont like the idea of canisters although you can make one work fine if properly maintained, a sump is just a little more system maintainer friendly.

Although I havent ran anything other than my 65G and a biocube 29G for a while, if your tank is smaller like it is a canister may be good.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ive done some systems with canisters, .... BUT... you need to make sure you remove all the bio media whether its the ceramic disks or the bio balls, they retain nitrates. you can set them up like a reactor for carbon and phosban, but ultimatly i would set up a small sump and run a filter sock to pick up large debris, and then run 2 fishys reactors for carbon and phosban.. you could also do some macro algae and then your return pump..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: