Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi all,

This is my first post. I must say this forum presents a wealth of information which is much needed/appreciated as I begin my foray into reef tanks. Thanks already for all the great info.

I just picked up some live rock yesterday and it has a bunch of squishy things all over and in it. I know that I can expect lots of such things but I was hoping someone could chime in as to whether I should welcome this particular creature of do my best to rid myself of it before the rock goes into the tank.

002.jpg

013.jpg

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Is this going into a new tank that is not cycled? If that is the case I would put it in as is a see what comes to life. If you like surprises and enjoy things coming back to life that is the way to go.Your other choice is to take a stiff brush and clean off the rock and that will minimize the die off and the smell. Either way it is a good way to get you cycle going.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah sorry for the fuzzy pictures. I realized that I should have provided more detail. They pretty much look the same when I put them in water. They are almost leathery to touch and kind of feel like a really tough blister.

Do aiptasia generally open up when in water to look like what I have been seeing on the web (i.e. anemone like), or can they remain in this state?

I will try pulling one off and getting a picture when I get a chance.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I was reading that there are like 5000 different kinds of sponges so hopefully it's just something like that or some other harmless mushroom that won't decide to take over. Looks like the only way to find out will be to put it in the tank and see what happens.

On that note I can't wait to actually get my tank up and running. Just waiting for a replacement tank to come in from Oceanic and a fitting for my ro/di unit and I can finally get this show on the road! Guess that is all part of being patient (sigh).

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I was reading that there are like 5000 different kinds of sponges so hopefully it's just something like that or some other harmless mushroom that won't decide to take over. Looks like the only way to find out will be to put it in the tank and see what happens.

On that note I can't wait to actually get my tank up and running. Just waiting for a replacement tank to come in from Oceanic and a fitting for my ro/di unit and I can finally get this show on the road! Guess that is all part of being patient (sigh).

yeah being patient sucks but trust me it sucks much more when you rush

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: