NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. it's been a while since any posts. my tank has been running sucessfully for 2 months already and everything is looking great. my only concern is that yesterday i did a water change. around 2 gallons. i mixed the water waited round a day b4 putting it in. so i scraped alge off walls and all the cleaning things, you know....lol and i put in the new water. i noted after the water change my water looked almost gluey? or like someone spit in it on the surface.. u know what i mean? everything is fine though.. my 2 new chromi's are very healthy and swimming. my firefish is great and is almost done healing on the mouth. i did infact though when cleaning my tank touch a few tings and put my hands back in.. maybe thats why??i touched a door knob and fireplace button thingy.. but i don't think that has ANYTHING to do with it... maybe door knob was greasy?? also when i was sucking the water out with a pipe maybe some of my spit got into the tank somehow?? cause i washed my filter pad into that water i took out from the tank.. o also halfway from sucking out the water i got tired and used a small cup to scoop the water out.. the cup did touch the tip of the palmolive bottle... but i did wash it after it did that with tap water.. this water looks weird.. but it's not that noticeable... soz.. i wanted to be REALLY SPECIFIC... I HOWEVER DID NOT TEST MY WATER FOR A WEEK ALREADY.. MAYBE I SHOULD TEST AND SEE WHATS UP?

also.. to make it more clear.. the water in tank has like bubbles on the surface.. it looks gluey..

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
146_2200.jpg

146_2199.jpg

146_2198.jpg

146_2196.jpg

146_2193.jpg

146_2201.jpg

so guys heres the pics... the chromis might are might not be in the pics cause they sometimes swim behind the rocks.. my firefish is in the blot hole. also could anyone tell me what this coral is? looks like a mushroom but not sure. guy at lfs didnt know. could the new coral be doing this water fuzz? maybe another water change? keep in mind i did scrape the algea in the tank with a razor blade and i did disturb the sand bed to release anything harmful toxins.

ps: the power head is currently not on due to overheating... it's a hot day today and i dont want the tank to over heat..it think it's around 78f? it was cold 2 days ago..the filter flow is the only source of flow for now.. i know it's bad but i dont have anything that needs too much flow..i will be adding some frogspawn and other corlas like that.. mabe a bubble? but not until i get this solved.

Last edited:

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Nano. You lost me at sucking the water out with a pipe. You're still doing that? :(

Post a pic, maybe someone can help you figure out why your water is "gluey"

unfortunately i am... lol... the pipe method when you put in the whole pipe and cover a part with your thumb is really difficult.. i dont have a pump either so i did suck into the pump =(... i didnt die last time though.. hehe:birthday:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
To me it looks like soap bubbles at the surface. I would re rinse everything- from the containers you use for your water to what you use to mix - anything that touches the water one thing at a time until when you stop running the water no bubbles appear anywhere and your 200% sure there is no soap residue on them- and from now on rinse them with only RO water and vinegar when you need to clean them, such as pumps and all.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like soap bubbles at the surface. I would re rinse everything- from the containers you use for your water to what you use to mix - anything that touches the water one thing at a time until when you stop running the water no bubbles appear anywhere and your 200% sure there is no soap residue on them- and from now on rinse them with only RO water and vinegar when you need to clean them, such as pumps and all.

ya probably some kind of contamination... i just did a water change... it seems to have greatly disappeared and once my water clears up im sure there will be no more.. but my hands did smell like hot sauce and friend chicken cause i just ate and the smell still stayed on the hands... i did wash it though with soap... wats funny is that it seems to not be affecting the fish... for now on i will rinse with ro.. it also might have been cause the plastic cups and pips and hydrometers probably fell on the dirty floor.. it could be anything,.. but the water change did help...the pipe i had my mouth one did fall into the tank..i will update everyone with pics soon..

BIG L A

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Do yourself a favor and get a pump... Stop sucking the pipe, water whatever and if your going to use that method dont swallow and dont put spit in it... Looks like you can use some skimming and some more flow across the top...

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and get a pump... Stop sucking the pipe, water whatever and if your going to use that method dont swallow and dont put spit in it... Looks like you can use some skimming and some more flow across the top...

ya i do have more flow on the top.. when i took the pics the powerhead was not on because of overheating... i just did a water change it it has greatly reduced... im going to save up for a skimmer if it is really needed... i do do water changes every week though.. but a skimmer would help i guess.. after 6 months im going to upgrade to a 60 gallon... it will make it so much easier to take care of..

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow on the top means it'll just circulate around the top... which I believe that's what its doing... getting thicker and thicker until you do the water changes
ya after i did the water change today i noticed 2 hrs ago it came back... so i guess i need a skimmer.. whats weird is that i never had this until i did the water change on monday... the new water change was today... maybe the water level in the tank is too high cause it's touching the filter out flow... maybe when i top off the water with frsh r/o maybe itll start to clear.. idk.. but it doesnt seem to be affecting fish or corals at all...ill probably save up for a skimmer... know any good nano skimmers for a good price?? under 100? im on a budget and when i made the tank i never had intentions for a skimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: