Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got my bulb tip anemone a couple of weeks ago. He moved around the first day or two but now he's been in the same little cave for a while. I can't tell if he's stuck as he does move in and out a little, this has also cause my 4" sand bed to become slightly thinner there.

Should I let him be or pull him out? He can't be getting much light in there although the bulbs do come out far enough from under the rocks. What's the best way to move him out without having to remove all my rock?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I've only had him for about 2.5 weeks... been in the same spot since day 2 or 3 now, but as I said he extends out of the cave a little.

All water params are good (ph 8.1, salinity 1.023, Am, Nitrite, Nitrate 0, KH 10) Only thing is my tank drops a couple degrees temperature overnight, from 77 to 75 but that should be ok right?

I was trying to get my PH a little higher but I read on here 8.1 is ok so I haven't added more buffer since my KH is already at 10.

PH and Salinity both measured by PinPoint meters.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
wait so ur sayng that it does come out in the light right, just that his foot stays to the back? if thats the case, thats how BTA are they hide there foot in the rock work and stretch out to the light.

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
sounds like the anemone is fine to me. 8.1 is fine for pH, but raising it slowly couldn't hurt. I have a red BTA who's been hanging upside down on the bottom of a rock since the first night I got 'em. His tentacles extend out past the rock into the light when it's on.
If he's got a solid grip on the rock where he's at, he's probably nice and healthy. If you try to grab him and he comes off the rock with little to no effort, then you have an unhealthy anemone.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you try to grab him and he comes off the rock with little to no effort, then you have an unhealthy anemone.
dont try this cause u can rip the foot even if its not on tight! its not worth the risk.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Is he taking food?
Also what kind of lighting and how big is the tank?

Sounds like mine, it likes to anchor in a recess with its tentacles exposed to the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My buddies BTA did that- every night hed recess inside between 2 rocks at night but during the lighting cycle hed extend all the way out to get the light and to eat, then recess bak in when he clsed up after and before the lighting cycle. Did that for over a year until he changed tanks. Was just where it was happy witht he flow and lighting and all. In his new tank I havent heard it hiding like that I think it found a place more out in the open in the new one that its happy with all conditions.

If it eats as asked and does extend out during the cycle its fine- it is just happpiest with its foot anchored where it is

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Some people spot feed some dont- I do.

Get frozen silversides from the LFS. I started giving a 1/4 of a silverside when my nem was small and as it grew, the size of the iece I gave it did. Mine got to be about 10"around and was getting basically a whole silverside at that point.

Its split since then and I give them each 1/2 a silverside.

How I do it is I defrost mine by means of like a double boiler type system- may be overkill but Im a whacko at times.lol

I put the frozen silverside already cut in half so it cuts without the guts squishing out in a small like pudding bowl with enough tank water for it to sit submerged in. I put vitachem, garlic extreme and selcon in the water- then I float that bowl in a bigger bowl with hot tap water in it and I let the silverside defrost so as it does itll aborb the vitamins and stuff.

Then I just touch the tentacles with the fish and itll react, when it does just let it go and the nem will do the rest.

Good luck and enjoy your nem.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feed frozen food so I'm sure he gets some. I usually put some tank water in a cup and let the cube defrost in the water then pour it in... gets everywhere in the tank.

Using your method... could I use a piece of shrimp (for human consumption)? It's all I have that would be whole like that.

Sorry I couldn't reply to your instant message but I didn't have 10 posts yet!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No prob. Silversides are pretty cheap. Im sure people have fed them shrimp. If youre going to do that-and Id only do it to get you by till you get silversides, make sure you get them fresh from a seafood counter at the grocery store or seafood market, and rinse it VERY WELL with RO/DI water to get rid of any possible preservatives or other contaminates.

Get yourself some silversides- or you can actually just make sure he gets a bunch of the frozen mysis your using util you get silversides, that would be my 1st choice if I were you right now. Youll know if he gets some of the food you feed. Im sure he does youll see him clench the food in his tentacles. Some dont ever spot feed their nems so hell be fine. The good strong light is more important for him than the spot feeding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: