ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Did you have corals in your tank as well, when you did the lights out for 3 days? and how did it affect them if you did? That's some info worth posting in your post. I don't know it the OP has corals in his tank as well.

Yes. two anemones some lps and some sps. No ill effects for me anyway. But it's really only a bandaid until you figure out what the root cause is. You should also do a w/c after the blackout period.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Okay I know some of you say phosphate but that is what I thought myself so I went to purchase a Hanna phosphate checker and the readings i am getting is 0. I did notice that my heater was off I wonder if this has anything to do with it. The temp in the tank read 72 a bit low but i turned on the heater. I am doing water changes ever 10 days but I guess I will do it more often every 7 days and change media on my HOB filter.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I also purchased the Hanna checker got a reading of 0 ?? I think that thing is a pos how can I have o.00 in a heavily stocked tank with hair alage?

The mp40 I picked up also made a big difference it keeps all the crap in the water column So it makes it to the skimmer to be removed

reefjunkie09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was in the same boat man... Green hair like you wouldn't believe. From what I read about it in simplest terms, it needs two things to grow and survive 1- nutrient( phos ) and 2 -light... Long story short it was my old bulb in my 250 watt halide causing it. I ran magnavore Pura complete in a chem reactor with a slow flow (increased contact time) and new halide bulb and been good since. U said your phos was 0 so I would change your bulbs if u can :)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Granular Ferric Oxide. It is gently tumbled in a reactor and it's purpose is to remove phosphates. There are other ways to remove/reduce your phosphates but this is what I'm using at the moment and it works well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: