Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I want to know if I can keep a clam . My current light is a nova extreme t5x8, tank dimensions are 48x24x31h. What would be the paper placement? Second question is I want a gobies and a wrasse I hear about jumping should I stay away even though my tank is deep?

sent from HTC EVO

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Its a deep tank, so I would try to have the clam placed on the rockwork so its higher up and closer to the light. at least half way up would be good, higher is even better.

a deep tank won't make a difference in them jumping. They will jump regardless and you should have your tank covered with a mesh unless your canopy seals the top if you plan to have them.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
its a deep tank, so i would try to have the clam placed on the rockwork so its higher up and closer to the light. At least half way up would be good, higher is even better.

A deep tank won't make a difference in them jumping. They will jump regardless and you should have your tank covered with a mesh unless your canopy seals the top if you plan to have them.

+1

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I have had a yellow watchman goby for months in my 75 with an open top. I have heard of them jumping, but if they like the tank then they would have no reason to jump.

You've been lucky so far (knocking wood, no whammies)

For a wrasse you definitely want a cover. The depth of the tank will simply give them more water, to get up more speed to jump from the tank :(
No cover, no wrasse :(

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
but if they like the tank then they would have no reason to jump.
I've seen some research on other forums (can't find it, right now), that suggest that if the fish really, really likes his 'keeper', they will have no reason to attempt suicide!
:shhh: of course, you should not allow the fish to see you being 'intimate' with another human!

:splitspin

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
They are not attempting suicide. There is nothing personal about their jumping. They simply get scared and try to 'escape' . In the ocean they would simply land a ways off and out of whatever harm they thought they were in. In your house they run out of ocean. Anything can scare them from lights going on or off some other fish bumping into them.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Clams also require excellent water quality. As they begin to grow they will have greater demand on Ca n Alk too. I agree with Ming, i would keep the clam as close to the lights as possible as they demand strong lighting.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
how long has your tank been up?? i usually tell people wait at least 6months before trying to add a clam. its a sensitive invert. you need to make sure all your parameters are in check. ive had clams under t5s and LEDs with no problem. also depends on if its a derasa, maxima, crocea, or squamosa. i say start with a derasa and see how it does. the later on down the line. try a maxima and crocea. this is just my opinion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: