Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i just finished cycling a 125 gallon soon to be reef tank with a wet dry filter. now and 63 pounds of live rock. now i hear that a wet dry is bad for a reef tank so before i get fish i would like to just completely get rid of the bio balls and recycle it. i am picking up about 60 pound of live rock tomorrow so there will be about 123 pounds total but thats already pushing it because the 63 pounds in their almost covers the whole 6 foot long wall. will 123 pounds support the tank.i also have a small hang on back refugium with macroalgae

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
what do u mean? i have about 120 in my tank, but thats between my fuge and DT. if u have a good filtration system (skimmer etc.) u dont need a tun of rock.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
well what i mean by supporting the tank is that will that amount of live rock be enough to have all the necessary bacteria to go through the nitrogen cycle and will it make up for the wet dry. i also have a odyssea protein skimmer rated or 160 gallons

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
now that i couldnt tell u. i started with 20lbs of live, and 50lbs of dead rock, and later i added the rest (6 months later to be exact)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
well what i mean by supporting the tank is that will that amount of live rock be enough to have all the necessary bacteria to go through the nitrogen cycle and will it make up for the wet dry. i also have a odyssea protein skimmer rated or 160 gallons

Any amount of rock will go through the nitrogen cycle. The more rock (this includes sand) you have, the more bioload it can support to quickly turn that ammonia into nitrates. Although your skimmer is extremely inefficient, your tank will likely build up with nutrients unless you do large water changes if you have a lot of fish. With a better skimmer, the nutrient buildup will be slower. The mfg was extremely generous in that rating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: