DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So I've been debating for the past week if I should be getting an anemone. I'd really be getting it for the the mutual benefit b/t the clown and the anemone. My clowns have been trying to host anything from my pulsing xens to my duncans. I know that since anemones sting, they can be a bi*** when introducing into your tank. So I was wondering how long it took your anemones to get used to your tank, plant themselves & stay put. If they affixed themselves to the glass, what do you do while you're cleaning the tank (if you don't do water changes from the sump & are siphoning from the tank. Lastly, are you doing the usual direct feed for them? I saw this awesome red bubble tip anemone at my LFS that I was thinking of picking up.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
A few things you will need to think about before you purchase your first anemone.

Is your tank established? And when I say established I don't mean has the tank been cycled.

Is your lighting strong enough to support an anemone? Most if not all nems need strong lighting.

Also just because you have clown fish it does mean they will host your new nem. Some people get lucky and they host right away and others have waited months and are still waiting.

I'm sure I left a few more considerations out but others I'm sure will chime in.

Also research is the best way to make sure your new nem will be happy and healthy

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A few things you will need to think about before you purchase your first anemone.

Is your tank established? And when I say established I don't mean has the tank been cycled.

Is your lighting strong enough to support an anemone? Most if not all nems need strong lighting.

Also just because you have clown fish it does mean they will host your new nem. Some people get lucky and they host right away and others have waited months and are still waiting.

I'm sure I left a few more considerations out but others I'm sure will chime in.

Also research is the best way to make sure your new nem will be happy and healthy

Tank isn't fully established yet. Yes it's cycled, but the alk has been all over the place and is now high at 11. (thanks to DLO on the BBM chat, hopefully fix that over the next week or so).

I'd of course wait until it's been running a little longer (it's been up post nitrate cycle for around 4 months).

36 gallons. Remora Skimmer. Fluval 305, good flow w/ 2 nano's running on a wave timer
& 120 watt Blue Line LED's for the lighting.

I've been reading and reading up on caring for anemones & I know that it's hit or miss for hosting (Absolutely asked me if I wanted to purchase the anemone that they were hosting already since they took to it and didn't want to leave it when I picked up the clowns).

I just thought I'd ask the questions I asked b/c I like reading up on people's experience and do's/don'ts to help me better my knowledge base

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
If it was me I would wait a few more months for everything to become more stable. Anemones do not like any quick changes in water chemistry. You've come to the right place to increase your knowledge, MR is full of experienced and knowledgeable reefers. Good luck!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
What you need to do is a lot of research- your tank should be AT LEAST 6 months goin before adding a nem.

Its NEVER a guarantee that your clowns wil be hosted by the nem you put in.

They are NEVER permanently in 1 spot guaranteed. Just because they find a place theyre happy in at the moment doesnt mean that theyll never move again. They may decide they dont like the flow or light in that spot after a while and move. Theyre animals not plants so they dont "plant" themselves and stay. Mine moved around for alomst 2 weeks, settled in at one spot. Stayed for a month or so then moved again. Has been in the same spot since but ya never know. Also when they split doesnt mean that the one that splits off will stay there either. Im lucky mine split and they both stayed, again lucky is all, I may wake up tomorrow and find either one of them in a different spot.

The biggest thing is also they can and will knock over and/or sting corals as they move about the tank.

You need to make sure when you do put one in the tank that theres no possible way they can get sucked up into your powerhead (dont underestimate their ability to get tentacles and parts of their body sucked into one).

If they die they tend to SERIOUSLY foul your water so be prepared for that.

Heres a great website to do some research on:

www.karensroseanemones.net

Be patient- clowns can live their entire life completely happy without a nem so dont think they wont be just as well off without one as they will with one to be hosted in--just wanted to point out- the nem hosts the clowns, clowns dont host the nem.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
+1 on being patient and let the tank mature a few more months minimum.

During this time try and focus on what type of nem to keep depending on the clown fish you have. I got lucky when my false percs took to my bubble tip, but it still took a couple months in a 75.
Im also lucky because the nem is really happy in one spot and hasnt moved since the first week it went in almost a year ago.

The pay off is huge when you see how they co-exist. But as mentioned above, captive bred clown fish lead perfectly happy lives without nems. But Im sure they are displaying signs that they prefer some part of your tank.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I don't know about ur lighting,, I know they require high lighting to be happy ,, I have 8-9 anemones in my tank and I'm runnin Mh/t5's

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't know about ur lighting,, I know they require high lighting to be happy ,, I have 8-9 anemones in my tank and I'm runnin Mh/t5's

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

I've decided to wait until spring or so to get 1. Does anyone else here have an anemone using LED's? I'm on the blueline 120 led system. Is that not enough light for 1?

and thanks everyone for the links and advice. I DID sit and read ALL of the sites that were sent

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: