Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
I am currently running a 65gallon system. If i was going to upgrade to a 140 or 180, how would i transfer everything over into the new tank? I would want to swap everything in a weekend if possible.

1) Would i have to dump my 65 gallons into this new system in order for all my livestock to be healty and alive.

2) What would i need to do for all my clams, fish, inverts and corals to survive this switch?

what else should i keep in mind?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
get lots of containers throw everything in there with power heads of course, and then move the bigger tank where u want it and hook up the plumbing, check for then start to fill it and finally put everything in the new tank. (and theres a thread that was made yesterday on this same topic..)

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
get lots of containers throw everything in there with power heads of course, and then move the bigger tank where u want it and hook up the plumbing, check for then start to fill it and finally put everything in the new tank. (and theres a thread that was made yesterday on this same topic..)

yea i know that part but how about the ratio of water? you know if you fill up a 40g lets say with new water and place all the live stock it will die! because the water isnt cycled. well in this case im saying if i have the 120 it would be 60g of new salt water. would i need to let it mix in for a few days or just dump the old with the new and put alll the rock and coral in the same day?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
lol not tru. ever wonder how the fish at the swap are kept alive....that water only sat 24hours...cycling happens cause of rock and sand. i help my uncle go from a 120 to 220 cycle free. and of course the water would need to be pre mixed and ph and temp matched.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
There is little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column, its all in your sand and rock. Like thedlo said there is a thread on this subject already. Think of it as doing a large water change.
lol i was waiting for ya...did want to steal ur fire. :tongue1:

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
hahaha i loved it the first time i saw u post it! i even used it on a friend or two...:shhh:

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
SimplyZBest2000

I am currently running a 65gallon system. If i was going to upgrade to a 140 or 180, how would i transfer everything over into the new tank? I would want to swap everything in a weekend if possible.

1) Would i have to dump my 65 gallons into this new system in order for all my livestock to be healty and alive.

2) What would i need to do for all my clams, fish, inverts and corals to survive this switch?

what else should i keep in mind?

Hey man, I converted from a 55 gallon tank to my 120 Gallon tank this month. I have an idea for you. How much fish do you have? How many corals/invertebrates do you have? There are a few solutions I can give you and I am sure I will catch flack from some of the more experienced reefers but I did not lose any fish during my conversion.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
wow 100%? And nothing died?
What is so hard to understand? There is little to NO beneficial bacteria in the water. It is on your rock and in your sand. If you do not let your rock or sand dry out you will not kill the bacteria. Put your fish and corals in containers while you do the transfer and have your new water ready to add to the new tank. If it takes you longer than expected just have heaters and airstones in the containers and match the temp as close as possible to the new water. Its not rocket science and it has been done many many times.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
As long as the rocks your adding are fully cured you will be fine. Most people cure there new rocks weeks in advance to prepare for the transfer.

Thanks. I am thinking of samething... The new tank is going to be in my basement.. The current tank is in te first floor... So I guess, I can have my new tank cycled and plan the move....Thanks...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: