Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I went away for the week for Thanksgiving, and my friend maintained my tank while I was gone. He knows about saltwater aquariums plenty enough to take care of my tank. I talked to him throughout the week and he said that everything was doing great. The tang has consistently eaten the misis shrimp that I feed daily and about once or twice a week some green marine algae. Granted my tank is a 12 gallon and I know that is too small for him, he is quite small for a tang (approx. 1.25"). I am upgrading to a 25 gallon this week. I noticed today that my Scopa Tang looked a bit ill. He usually has a lot of energy and gets along fine with my two other clown fish. He's been in there for about 2 months with no problems. Anyways, here are 2 photos that I took of him. Would love some suggestions. Thanks for the time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, the Tang is way to small for that tank, even a 25gal is going to be too small. Also you need to be feeding him a lot more, especially algae. The fish is very thin and is slowly wasting away. You should be giving him Nori sheets and Spirulina Flakes every day, especially at that size.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know, I fell in love with it when I saw it and had to have it even if it meant giving it away a month later. I know that it's too big for the tank and up until now it has been great. Sounds like it needs a new home though :/

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What are the parameters in the tank currently?

I know you understand that a 12g tank is woefully inadequate for that tang, and I hate to be so blunt, but a 25g is no better for him. :(

Please try and re-home him as soon as humanly possible or he will probably die very soon! Do check your parameters so he can at least be in good quality water while you look for a new home for him.

There are so many beautiful and interesting fish you can put into a 25g that are appropriate for the tank size and that can thrive and have a great life with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: