IamRobG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the search button numerous times and i have a few questions i would like to ask about converting my 125 Fresh water (no overflow, non drilled, tempered glass) into a saltwater reef tank.

I currently have the flu-val FX5 canister filter. I know sump is the way to go but the costs of drilling and buying the sump or selling my tank and buying a reef ready tank is a little pricey. The question i have with the canister is, if i fill it with live rock and use a HOB protein skimmer that i have on my 58 which is rated for 125 gallons, plus whatever live rock i put into the tank, do you think this would be enough filtration? Or maybe fill it with live rock and bio balls as filtration instead of the media that comes with it? Even though there is no light, there should steel be beneficial filtering bacteria on the rock correct?

What is the best lighting scenario. The tank is 72" long. Do i do 1 big 72" light or 3 24's or 2 36's? I want to get a good light setup in the future i just dont know which way to go.

I've read around 1-1.5lbs or live rock per gallon is sufficient. Since i wont have a sump, should i add some extra live rock?

I appreciate all the advice in advance.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
to my knowledge you should go with double the size of a skimmer to the size of your tank.
So you'd be looking at a 250 skimmer.
you don't need to have a drilled tank to be a reef tank. my 36 bow isn't drilled. and I'm using a fluval (I didn't know any better when I got it)
The problem with the canister filters is that they can be a nitrate source and could crash your tank. I have to rinse my media weekly to make sure that I'm not building up nitrates in the bio balls and the other compartments.
For the overflow you can buy a HOB overflow and run that into a sump with your skimmer, fuge area then return back to the tank if you're considering doing the sump... it's almost a must that you should do a sump for a tank that size.

lighting is preference. some people run their tank on t5 actinics and have crazy coral growth. either way T5, MH or LED, just make sure the par rating suffices for the depth of the tank.

I'm still a newbie so I'm just regurgitating what's been told to me..

good luck with the project. pics are a must here!

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Empty the tank and have it drilled ,, I had my 90 gallon drilled before I filled it ,, best thing u can do ,, I have a 72 bow also and the overflow box is hideous ,, i wish it was drilled ,,, ask members on here ,, some people drill tanks on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
He did say tempered glass so no drilling unless he finds out otherwise
Empty the tank and have it drilled ,, I had my 90 gallon drilled before I filled it ,, best thing u can do ,, I have a 72 bow also and the overflow box is hideous ,, i wish it was drilled ,,, ask members on here ,, some people drill tanks on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i would not fill the canister filter with lr it not ment be used that way and the hob on ur 58 is not going to do the job for the 125 if founds are tight check on here peeps give away tanks all the time take one and turn it into a sump/fuge what ever u want u gonna need a over flow box since ur tank cant be drill and as far a the rest of ur equipment is concern just check the for sale tread here u can get get some good deals exspecialy when peeps are breaking down there system best of luck take ur time u will save alot $$ buy not rushing into things

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
your tank should only be tempered on the bottom you can still drill the back.if you know the brand of the tank just check there website and you'll get the info on witch panels are tempered.and as far as skimmers go the older models yeah u got to go way bigger than the manufactures specs but todays newer skimmers like the cones the size that they rate at is the way to go.if you go to big on a skimmer and you dont have enough proteins in you system you want have a constant head of foam so make sure you do a lot of research on skimmers and how much you want to spend

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Personally, I won't use the big canister filters as a filter for a reef. They tend to be nitrate and phosphate factories after awhile. This is mostly because their weight makes it so hard to rinse out the polyester. Though you don't need a drilled tank for a reef, it sure makes things easier. Another option is using an overflow box, but they are more trouble than they are worth. 125s are a lot easier to drill compared to smaller tanks, because the thicker glass isn't as easy to crack. Just remember to go slow. I won't really use the weight rule for live rock, since different type of rocks have different weights. I prefer the space rule. As long as you have enough to fill 1/3 of the tank, you're good. But then again I love over stuffing my systems with rock. But definitely get a good skimmer and have plenty of pumps to keep circulation.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Forgot to mention, an easy filter solution that I have seen used efficiently are the people who use the aquaclear filters. What they do is empty the contents and put crushed coral and caulerpa inside with some cheap t4 lights from home depot that are more white or orange. The one i liked the most was when someone used that method with another aquaclear for only ferric oxide to remove phosphate. For a 125, 3 110s with a good protein skimmer should work. But it might be cheaper to just make a sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: