michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Am I crazy or are those mini stars consuming my zoas? Look right in the middle of the photo. Every polyp that is closed pretty much has a star on it or near it.

If so I'm in big trouble because I have hundreds of them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 233

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I pluck any that I see out of my tank. They drive the zoas crazy and they do eat them, I have seen huge colonies disappear within 3 months. If you can get the rock out, do a fresh(RO)water dip for a minute or so, then shake the colony in clean saltwater to get those stars off the colony. They should be fine and star-free after that.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I pluck any that I see out of my tank. They drive the zoas crazy and they do eat them, I have seen huge colonies disappear within 3 months. If you can get the rock out, do a fresh(RO)water dip for a minute or so, then shake the colony in clean saltwater to get those stars off the colony. They should be fine and star-free after that.
Yikes!!! Thanks for the info.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, without a doubt certain asterinas WILL eat zoas.

You could purchase a Harlequin shrimp or two and they will eat the asteria population. The downside if after they eat all of the asterinas you will need to continue to feed them live starfish as that is the ONLY thing that Harleys will eat.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
+1 on the Harlequin shrimp it is ur best bet!!!

Yes, without a doubt certain asterinas WILL eat zoas.

You could purchase a Harlequin shrimp or two and they will eat the asteria population. The downside if after they eat all of the asterinas you will need to continue to feed them live starfish as that is the ONLY thing that Harleys will eat.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
yeah those harlies will do the job only bad thing is that once there done wit those stars they will need to be fed atleast sometype of star everycouple of days or else they will die happend to me

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
yeah those harlies will do the job only bad thing is that once there done wit those stars they will need to be fed atleast sometype of star everycouple of days or else they will die happend to me

Well, not quite that often! ;)

A pair of Harleys will require being fed (often a chocolate chip star fish is used) one every 2 or 3 weeks, so yes, there is some upkeep to having ghtme, but balance that against the cost of replace the zoas :starfish:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: