ramz28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi, i have been searching information about metal halide and have not come up with answers. I have a 125g with a 55g sump/refuge fowlr tank. I want to ad some coral nothing hard to grow just easy simple noob coral. I have a 48" 4 bulb t8 fixture. Each buld is 32w. so i should have a total of 128w. I was looking at metal halides and came across some units with out bulbs and they say it uses a halogen bulb. I thought metal halides are different? they look like my 1000w shop light but the bulbs are a screw in type. can i just buy a metal halide bulb? should i even waste money with metal halide if i odnt plan on difficult coral? sorry for the rambling just confused. thanks!

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
you can if yoyu change bulbd every 6 months and keep wter super clean with filter media carbon phosphate remover and if I were you would get t5 lighting just easier to find more choices of bulbs 4x54watts good for lps and softies1 good luck

ramz28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the tank is 72" and i have it centerd. I just found someone with 2 metal halides for a good price im going to check them out and see what they really are. I was lookin at goin with a full t5ho setup as it seems like a better choice and worth the upgrade and i can just buy the ballasts and bulbs seperatly to fit in my custom canopy.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
the tank is 72" and i have it centerd. I just found someone with 2 metal halides for a good price im going to check them out and see what they really are. I was lookin at goin with a full t5ho setup as it seems like a better choice and worth the upgrade and i can just buy the ballasts and bulbs seperatly to fit in my custom canopy.
Cool.
Sounds like a plan. You shouldn't need many for easy to keep corals.

ramz28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
so i just got 2 175w metal halides for $40. needs differnt bulbs. They were used b4 as lighting for a stage. came with 2 5500k bulbs. I am going to switch it 2 2x175w 10000k. and turn my t5s into actinics. will be building a custom canopy. does that sounds good for the halides? or does any1 see my house burning down?

ramz28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
IMAG0176.jpg pics as requested its just a bronze box lol. they work perfectly tho. i will mod them for better airflow because they are waterproof

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My advice would be to go with a MH bulb that is a little bluer. 10,000K will be very yellow and though it would promote good growth, you will not like the way the corals look under that light. Also, 10K will promote more algae growth as well.

Your 32W bulbs at 48" length means is regular T5 and the 10,000K Halide bulb will completely overpower those T5's unless you switch to a High Output T5 fixture. Or you could go with a 14,000K MH bulb.

If your interested, I have 2 used Deep Blue Solarmax 36" T5HO fixtures. Each holds 2 bulbs and they also have a stip of blue LED moonlights. I have each fixture loaded with a 460nm actinic bulb and a really hi end Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple Bulb. It will make coral colors pop like crazy. PM if you want, I'll sell you each fixture for $50.

Last edited:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
If you're still going with the softie set-up, my recommendation is to try to get another one of the 175 MH's you already have. Then, get all 20000k bulbs. You're going to thank me at the end. Btw, since the fixtures use a mongule base bulb, you should be able to remove the glass cover off the fixture.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm an electrician. So as long as the ballast is at the same rating as bulb, it's fine. If you ever need another ballast. Go down to your local electrical supply house and tell them what type of bulb you have, they should be able to give a complete replacement kit.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: