albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i am an idiot and forgot to drip acclimate him. he's probably not going to make it. BUT. Manhattan Reefs is having a big sale tomorrow and they have some beautiful Maxima clams that I will probably get.
Since you don't know what caused the problem, you'd be an idiot to buy a replacement, tomorrow!

How much of old tank water did you switch to new tank? Same salt mix, temp. and other params?
IMO temperature acclimation is more important than drip, for a clam...I have 10 healthy clams, that were never drip acclimated, some with multiple tank changes.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey yeah I used the same salt mix, the temp is just about 75. New water to old water ratio is 50/50. I guess my new question for the forum would be:

what is the best way to acclimate a clam to a tank. I know that my other levels are pretty much spot on.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i'm not gonna get one. although i really wish i could! i will do some more research before my next one...although i feel like im ready. i mean this thing was just fine for like 2 months.and then as soon as i changed tanks it got bad. it's gotta be in the way that i transferred it.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
my tank had been set up for about 8 months. i got it about 2 months ago and its been opening and closing beautifully everyday. It was healthy. When I changed tanks 2 days ago and I put it in and it just slowly started to get worse. A very noticeable change. It must have been how I transferred it into the new tank. I tested the new water and it is just fine.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Was it attached to anything in the old system and did you damage the the clam removing it? Clams are funny and generally don't like being moved around much. They also sometimes just go suddenly for no apparent reason. If your tank parameters are good you'll likely never know for sure why it didn't handle the transfer well.

I'd slow down though and not add much if anything new for a few weeks while the new system settles in.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
yeah it attached itself to a really nice piece of live rock with lots and lots of nutrients. I got it out of there. big shame though. i guess lesson somewhat learned. For future reference, what is the best way to transfer a clam?

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
yeah but u turture the animals u throw in ur tank if u dont research the proper care for them and buying new ones to replace the one not doing good it will only cost u alot $$ that way and alot of died animals

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: