Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just thought I'd ask, I know that I've made acclimation mistakes before.

What are the best ways to acclimate the following things:

Fish
Anemones
Shrimp / other invertebrates
SPS, LPS, Softies
Live Rock
Any other kind of coral

Really, Just anything. haha

Last edited:

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Why not drip acc everything? With all the money you spend, better to be safe than sorry. I know it takes longer, but the fish/coral/invert/you will all be happier in the end.
Because believe it or not there is such a thing as over acc things. With fish and sensitive inverts I drip for 30-45 min everything else gets floated for 15-20 min and in the tank it goes. The animal has been stressed enough and over acc can stress it more.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Because believe it or not there is such a thing as over acc things. With fish and sensitive inverts I drip for 30-45 min everything else gets floated for 15-20 min and in the tank it goes. The animal has been stressed enough and over acc can stress it more.
+1

some people use to like using lugol solution when acclimating coral because its good for tissue repair or something. There is now super iodine, which is a lot safer to use.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Yea the knot method is def better than a valve. I also use a food clamp to weigh the other end down. fir freshwater tanks, esp discus or anything non loach or sting ray I also add methle ble to the acclimating bucket.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I only temp acclimate, by floating bag for 30-90 mins....if salinity is off, I will do a quick acclimation (pouring 1 cup of water at a time) so as not to totally shock anything(generally it's only fish from fish only systems)....I have heard that livestock can take up to 2 weeks for a real acclimation. Also, a lot of things in the ocean get caught in tide pools, and the salinity of those tide pools can drastically change throughout the day.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
drip everything, especially shrimp/inverts. Corals are dripped and lugol's dipped, It will only make the corals/fish/inverts act normal and healthly at 4x the rate. Like it was said before your spending the money what's another half hour?

Just thought I'd ask, I know that I've made acclimation mistakes before.

What are the best ways to acclimate the following things:

Fish
Anemones
Shrimp / other invertebrates
SPS, LPS, Softies
Live Rock
Any other kind of coral

Really, Just anything. haha

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't drip, but I slowly acclimate with little cupfuls of water until the salinity is equal to my tank...anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on salinity and type of animal...snails and clams get a longer time, fish, which always seem stressed by acclimating, get a shorter time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: