Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
should i bother running my skimmer while doing hyposalinity because its just making me do more work because its not making foam anymore and it just keeps overflowing the cup. im guessing this is because of the very low salt level. its a reef octopus 2000 and the water level is constant so it cant be that.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I would leave the skimmer running on the main tank (not sure where you are doing your hypo).

If you are doing the hypo in a QT I would not use a skimmer for oxygen but an air pump & air stone. The water should be checked daily for ammonia levels and changed to eliminate the ammonia. You should not get to a point where a skimmer would be needed to clean anything out of the water.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Like Kathy said take water from you DT to do WC every couple days
Keep eye on Ammonia

That isn't what I said...

Actually Jarrett - that is NOT a good idea.
If a person has removed their fish from a tank with ich in it and put them in a hospital tank to cure them, why would you introduce MORE water from the source of the ich outbreak into the QT tank?

Remember there is nothing in the DT that is actively killing the ich, so it IS still in there until it dies from not finding a host fish.
Each time a person does this they may as well start counting from Day 1 of treating the fish :(

Better to use NEW SW during a water change in a QT :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: