- No they're not "rare", sometimes suppliers just won't have them for a while

- Normal price range for them is between $40-$100 depending who you buy it from. Will's Water World usually sells them for $40

- And no it is not just another name for a bubble tip, the common name for a heteractis magnifica is usually ritteri anemone or magnificent anemone. Bubble tip is under entacmaea

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Magnifica doesnt ship well. doesnt acclimate well. loves high flow and high light. ime the hardest party of keeping one is finding a healthy one. they dont recover well so if you see one with any sign of defect or stress, like an open mouth, its best to pass on it. I took me 2 years to find a healthy mag.

I have kept bta, gig,haddoni and none compare for sheer beauty to a mag.

They are verry intolerant of poor water quality. and require verry specific flow patters. they like to be sort of lifted up by flow .. without to much direct flow. my MP10 on short wave setting does the trick nicely.

On the other hand they just look awsome. One thing to note is that onyx percula are known to lose thier black coloration in this anemone.

These guys are probly the hardest anemone to keep , so do your research.

They crave light so much you are gonna want to have MH for a single point of light or risk it walking around the tank for ever and ending up on the glass right at the water line.

they come in a wide array of colors green,yellow,purple ect and can have a red base or a purple base or just a plain brown base. I havent seen a dyed magnifica, but you will want to make sure you know what you are looking at before you go shopping.

Check on Orions thread on RC and also Ron Popiels Thread both have great looking mags.

Definitely agree with you Arati! I love anemones and I have a RBTA, GBTA, BTA morph, a yellow and green Haddoni but the Ritteri I used to have was beautiful, I'm looking for another one now. This is what mine looked like

p5241983medium.jpg

p5241980medium.jpg

2Sunny

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Heteractis Magnifica

They do not have a high survival rate, but they are famous for becoming incredibly hardy if you get one that becomes healthy. My belief is that they must be slowly acclimated to ever increasing light and ultimately require VERY intense light for long term survival. My anemone started life under 150 watt MHs then progressed to 250s and has been under 400s for 8 years now. Two clones are viewable at the Greenwich Aquaria and they live a few inches below 400 watt bulbs and receive enormous flow as well, but like I said if you get them to be healthy, they are model citizens because once happy they never move.

Anemone.jpg

50gal022.jpg

AnemoneBaby.jpg

50galBio2.jpg

DSCF4967.jpg

split2.jpg

ClownN.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok right now i wouldn't risk getting one because i am doing hypo salinity on my tank and i need to get that process done with first. but i have a 125 gallon tank with 432 watts of cree leds. 72 white and 72 blue. thats definitely enough right? and when i get it i will drip acclimate it for like an hour or so but then how do i quarantine it because i don't want to risk getting any more diseases in the tank its already a big problem getting rid of the ich.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
That was a Gig. I realy dont know why you lost it :(

one of those thing that will wiegh on me for awhile. it was in great shape, i feel bad you lost it. not knowing why makes it worse...

2Sunny

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anthony,

I'm the last person to say yay or nay on an anemone, but here's an article on H. Mags that should give you some pause. . .

Heteractis magnifica; Magnificent Anemones. A Poor Choice for Captive Systems

By Bob Fenner
Off Queensland, Australia
Amongst the several large Pacific Anemones naturally symbiotic with the playful Clownfishes (subfamily Amphiprionae), the Magnificent (Heteractis magnifica) ranks near the bottom for inappropriate aquarium use. This is a naturally large (only second to Stichodactyla mertensii in potential size for symbiotic anemones), species that is given to frequent moving... even "ballooning", filling itself with water and floating off to have adventures... Too big and free-roaming for anything but huge hobbyist systems (hundreds to thousands of gallons) with little other stinging-celled life. Want more? Of Anemones the Magnificent requires about the most intense lighting and water movement... and let's top it off with this species propensity to eat your non-hosted aquarium fishes!
Nonetheless, this species does make it into aquarium markets and aquarists tanks... Here is my best shot at informing you what it takes to successfully (as in potentially forever) keep this magnificent animal in captivity.
Also I personally own LEDs and am beginning experiments in my basement with various colors of LEDs on different frags, but I have concerns about trying LEDs on anemones. LED light works great for SOME plants and SOME growth forms but NOT for all types so personally I am willing to draw a conclusion at the moment that corals under LEDs will experience similar results to those found in the world of plant growth. All that is to say, we simply don't know if anemones can be kept under LEDs yet, and I for one would not want to take the chance, BUT please, please don't take this as anything other than a discussion from one aquarist to another. In the end you will decide what's right for you, and I'm just trying to give you as many opinions as possible to work with.

Joe

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thanks for all the info. right now i have some cheap condy anemone so ill see how it does under leds before i go out and spend big money on an anemone i would want to keep for show.
Anthony,

I'm the last person to say yay or nay on an anemone, but here's an article on H. Mags that should give you some pause. . .

Also I personally own LEDs and am beginning experiments in my basement with various colors of LEDs on different frags, but I have concerns about trying LEDs on anemones. LED light works great for SOME plants and SOME growth forms but NOT for all types so personally I am willing to draw a conclusion at the moment that corals under LEDs will experience similar results to those found in the world of plant growth. All that is to say, we simply don't know if anemones can be kept under LEDs yet, and I for one would not want to take the chance, BUT please, please don't take this as anything other than a discussion from one aquarist to another. In the end you will decide what's right for you, and I'm just trying to give you as many opinions as possible to work with.

Joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: