kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
This 75RR is going to be my second system, but I'm still pretty new to the hobby, so I'm unsure of what additional equipment I should get before I get the tank wet.

Stuff I have:
75RR display tank.
40B I'm converting into a sump/fuge.
BM-150 Pro Skimmer.
Max-Cap RO/DI 90 GPD unit that just came in the mail.
LED lighting (two units, similar PAR to 250 watt MH lamps).
20 gallon fresh water reservoir.
Custom stand to make it all look pretty.

Stuff I know I need:
Still haven't picked an ATO. (RKL looks intriguing, but I'm not sure if you need to buy an ATO separately?)
Probably going with Jager heater (can anyone recommend wattage?)
Return pump will be chosen when I figure out what other equipment I may need to provide flow to.

What else should I get before I get the system started? The following things I see on the forums, but don't really have a good understanding of...
Calcium Reactor?
Phosphate reactor?
Others?

Thanks for helping out a noob.

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
yes you need to buy the float switch to the rk.i would stay away from jagger and get a via aqua titanium heater.had mine for 5 years and never failed.you dont need a calcium reactor yet.plus its a small enough tank to dose with b-ionic.definatly get a phosban reactor there is nothing to understand.put powder in hook it up to either a small pump or make yourself a manifold then tee it to the phosban reactor,i use my manifold to the phosban and carbon reactor.

kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Got two MP40w es for flow...

Are the ones from Bulk Reef Supply any good? And is this the type of thing that I might want to consider buying used, or is new the way to go? I'm thinking of buying two single reactors, one for carbon, one for GFO...

Here's what I'm looking at...
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ctors/deluxe-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html#

Also, these would feed off the manifold... Should the return from the reactors go into the display, or back into the sump to the return pump chamber?

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recommend a wavemaker...definitely. Also, as far as an ATO is concerned...you can make one very easily yourself. All you need to know are your room temperatures day to day. And, another handy tool on how to calculate how much water has evaporated is an aquarium calculator. Just go to google and search aquariums calculator and then just enter your tank info. I can help you out with the ATO, just pm me or add me.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I would go with a Jager heater I have had the same one for 16 years and still going. 300 watts should be good or you could run 2 200 watt heaters. They would work better that way so the one heater isn't maxed out. No need for a wavemaker if you have 2 MP40's

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Get two separate reactors for the GFO and carbon. I had the Dual reactor from BRS and it served me well but I found the media container to be a PIA when re-filling and also discolored making it difficult to to see the GFO tumbling. I replaced the unit with two Nextreef MR1 reactors, the MR1 holds more media, works great and is nice and clear.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
you might want to think about getting a RODI unit. some power heads to move the water around in the tank (echotech MP can be noise after your year warr runs out and the you have to pay for new part or for them to look at it) so you might want to look and shop around for them. I also use a profilux doser so there is no need for any reactors so you might want to look into that also...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: