Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, I have my tank fully cycled. It's been 2 months now. I had a horrible algae problem in the first month,mostly green algae all over the glass and rock. I did some research and found out that this is normal and that everything is just a bit biologically unstable. After about 2 weeks or so,it went away on it's own. Now I have a different problem. I started to have brown slime algae on the rocks nearest to the top of my ligts. It's been a bit better lately, and it's slowly going down I think. My parameters are also fine...ammonia, nitrite,and nitrate at 0. I started to dose special bacterial colony drops. ithe dosing is 1 drop per 25 gallons twice a week. I'm also using r/o water for my changes and top offs. My question is...how long will it take for it to be gone, and should I be using a special filter media such as phosphate remover? (i have a 55 gallon tank,with a skimmer and a fluval 405)(my lights are nova extremes T5 bulbs...2 blue and 2 white)

nittinid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM....I COULD TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE THAT YOU LEAVING IT IN THE TANK WILL ONLY COMPLEX THE PROBLEM,AS YOU ARE SEEING.THE BEST THING TO DO IS USE A NEW TOOTH BRUSH AND BREAK IT UP AND SIPHON IT OUT THE TANK(MY TANGS STARTED EATING THE ALGAE AS I STARTED BREAKING IT UP)IM NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU...THIS IS NOT JUST A 1 TIME THING...EVERY TIME YOU SEE IT STARTING TO FORM AGAIN YOU HAVE TO BE ON TOP OF IT...MY OUTBREAK OF SLIME LASTED 9 DAYS...WHEN I SAW THAT THE ALGAE WAS AT A MINIMUM,I DID ONE DOSE OF "RED SLIME AWAY" JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.IT IS FISH,CORAL AND INVERT SAFE. I HAVENT HAD A OUTBREAK IN WEEKS!!! HOPE THIS HELPED... GOOD LUCK!!

THIS IS HOW BAD MINE GOT WHEN I DIDNT SIPHON IT OUT AND BEFORE THE RED SLIME AWAY...TRY TO GET THAT TAKEN CARE OF QUICK...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8MSTsO6pNs

iMa bE 90 YEaRs OLd DoIn a 30% wAtEr ChAnGe...cUz IMa bE rOcKiN TilL I dIe...

90 GALLON DISPLAY
IN DISPLAY;
110 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK
85 LBS LIVE SAND
(3) 50GPH POWERHEADS
30 GALLON SUMP
IN SUMP;
40 LBS LIVE SAND
15 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK.
FLUVAL 105
FLUVAL 405
PHOSBAN REACTOR
10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT JUST IN CASE
CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(150)
AND AN (ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER

L.S...SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG AND A SMALL CLEAN UP CREW...4 NOW..

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM....I COULD TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE THAT YOU LEAVING IT IN THE TANK WILL ONLY COMPLEX THE PROBLEM,AS YOU ARE SEEING.THE BEST THING TO DO IS USE A NEW TOOTH BRUSH AND BREAK IT UP AND SIPHON IT OUT THE TANK(MY TANGS STARTED EATING THE ALGAE AS I STARTED BREAKING IT UP)IM NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU...THIS IS NOT JUST A 1 TIME THING...EVERY TIME YOU SEE IT STARTING TO FORM AGAIN YOU HAVE TO BE ON TOP OF IT...MY OUTBREAK OF SLIME LASTED 9 DAYS...WHEN I SAW THAT THE ALGAE WAS AT A MINIMUM,I DID ONE DOSE OF "RED SLIME AWAY" JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.IT IS FISH,CORAL AND INVERT SAFE. I HAVENT HAD A OUTBREAK IN WEEKS!!! HOPE THIS HELPED... GOOD LUCK!!

THIS IS HOW BAD MINE GOT WHEN I DIDNT SIPHON IT OUT AND BEFORE THE RED SLIME AWAY...TRY TO GET THAT TAKEN CARE OF QUICK...:)

90 GALLON DISPLAY
IN DISPLAY;
110 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK
85 LBS LIVE SAND
(3) 50GPH POWERHEADS
30 GALLON SUMP
IN SUMP;
40 LBS LIVE SAND
15 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK.
FLUVAL 105
FLUVAL 405
PHOSBAN REACTOR

Wow...That video was really something...my problem isnt as bad as that thank God...But Yeah I have a new brush that I keep scrubbing the rocks with.

nittinid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the red slime away wasent what i was leaning towards...chemicals just aren't the answer...i only put it when i saw that the red slime was dissapearing...i just wanted to kinda slam the door shut..im pretty much sure it was the brush and siphoning of the red slime that was the key,and a big water change after wards...i think that hard coral that it "conquered" was the reason for the outbreak..i put that coral in my tank 5 days before the break out.i.d.k but it seems to have left for good..."knock on wood" :)

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I try not to use any chemicals. The Only thing I used was Nite-Out 2...Which are only bacterial colonies (I only used it once and it was good ever since). Now, I started dosing Nitrifying Bacterial drops...2 drops twice a week. I try to limit that also, just trying to improve my bacteria. But of course, chemicals arent good in the long run.

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0

90 GALLON DISPLAY
IN DISPLAY;
110 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK
85 LBS LIVE SAND
(3) 50GPH POWERHEADS
30 GALLON SUMP
IN SUMP;
40 LBS LIVE SAND
15 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK.
FLUVAL 105
FLUVAL 405
PHOSBAN REACTOR

This tank looking death for me...
In 110 gal tank you are using 3x50gph power heads?
Can you tell me what is the reason to use fluval filters?
Main filtration in your tank is biological filtration = your live rock. but you need water movement other way it make no sense. I know tank running without protein skimmer sump and any other external filtration for years already but circulation is very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: