• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok so ive been doing hyposalinity on my main tank for about 3 weeks now and when i started to lower the salt level i took out all the inverts and coral. the specific gravity is at 1.009 and im using a refractometer. at one point it dropped to 1.006 and i lost 3 fish because of it. now i was doing a water change today and on the sand i saw a hermit crab and on the glass there was a snail. How are they living?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
its been living in there for 2 months but all the live rock was full of cope ods because i got it fully cured like 10 minutes away from my house and i transported it in containers full of water. just during hyposalinity they all died.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cant blame you......And If I were you, I wouldn't of made a hospital tank out of your brother's 10 gallon. That thing was just swamped...I mean how do you do the saltwater hobby and not do ONE water change. Well anyhows, wouldn't it be good and bought a brand new tank for hospitality?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i took out all the rock and sand so theres nothing wrong with it now. everything died because it didn't have time to cycle and stuff so the coral had to go through a cycle and thats not really what killed it. i needed to use the heater and the temp dropped to 63 and like almost everything died. i only have like 2 things left which is the duncan and the anemone but some stuff looks alive its just not doing good like the red hornets and the purple hornets open every once in a while and all the others idk, they never open anymore.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
but what does it have to do with replacing a tank... its just glass. and i have like 3 more tanks but im not transferring everything and im going to the store to pick up a 20 gallon extra high tank for seahorses. but i also have a 20 and a 30 gallon but i don't want to use them because then i have to waste more salt and all the coral already fits into the 10 gallon.
Yeah the uncertainty...If its dead or not.

PIOTR

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i took out all the rock and sand so theres nothing wrong with it now. everything died because it didn't have time to cycle and stuff so the coral had to go through a cycle and thats not really what killed it. i needed to use the heater and the temp dropped to 63 and like almost everything died. i only have like 2 things left which is the duncan and the anemone but some stuff looks alive its just not doing good like the red hornets and the purple hornets open every once in a while and all the others idk, they never open anymore.
Are you listening to yourself??? get tanks out of that 38 degrees house and give it away to somebody who can care for it and then YOU READ and READ and READ and read some more and maybe then you can start over again in heated house this time.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
To answer your original question, snails and hermit crabs are much more tolerant of salinity changes than fish and corals.
I collect hermit crabs and snails in a tide pool that almost becomes fresh water at low tide. Corals don't have much tolerance at all because they never have to deal with low salinity in nature but hermit crabs and snails, besides being reef animals are also intertidal animals and are used to salinity variations. Usually in the sea this does not last long but they are very forgiving.
I usually collect in this tide pool (but I don't always wear a Tux) which is 8' deep at high tide but at low tide it is 6" deep and fed from a lake under that tunnel.
There are so many snails that you can't see the mud.
TidePool.gif

Last edited:

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
im not getting seahorses for another 6 months or so i just want to set up and plumb the tank into my 125 and then make it have a deep sand bed and start growing sea grass then seed it with copepods when hypo salinity is done that way the seahorses have a good tank to live in. and the whole thing is not as bad as people are making it sound. the coral was just closed not dead. and i got the temp up to 68 and rising because i raised the house temp to 60 instead of 38.
yea seriously..and you want to get seahorses? SEA..HORSES

ARE YOU INSANE?

STOP KILLING ANIMALS!
get yourself some books and forget it before you kill more animals for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: