Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
lol is that you wearing that suit in the tide pool? and thanks for the info btw. oh never mid i just finished reading the post...
To answer your original question, snails and hermit crabs are much more tolerant of salinity changes than fish and corals.
I collect hermit crabs and snails in a tide pool that almost becomes fresh water at low tide. Corals don't have much tolerance at all because they never have to deal with low salinity in nature but hermit crabs and snails, besides being reef animals are also intertidal animals and are used to salinity variations. Usually in the sea this does not last long but they are very forgiving.
I usually collect in this tide pool (but I don't always wear a Tux) which is 8' deep at high tide but at low tide it is 6" deep and fed from a lake under that tunnel.
There are so many snails that you can't see the mud.
TidePool.gif

Last edited:

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the fish are all alive. the only ones that died where a naso tang and a powder brown tang and it was because of ich and at that time like a month ago the tank temp was 79, thats how the naso died and the powder brown died when the salt level went to low and it was definitely that because my temp at that time was like 76 and it died the day after i added that fresh water to lower it.
The temp killed your fish...not the hypo

Last edited:
Anthony have you thought of getting into a new hobby? How about stamp collecting?

Lenny I get your frustation cuz I feel the same way especially when there's no consideration for the animals but that's not very nice.

no everyone just stop its not even funny anymore idc what you people think.

I mean it is kinda funny but you should care if you're killing animals and people are giving advice on how not to and you're not taking any of it in

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
how is there no consideration to the animals. i spend all day on this tank i raised the house temp to 60 i have 2 heaters in there a 300 watt and a 200 watt and im even working on getting more. the fish are healthy and swimming around. the coral is opening back up and everythings doing fine.
Lenny I get your frustation cuz I feel the same way especially when there's no consideration for the animals but that's not very nice.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
its not my fault. the temp just dropped overnight once we started getting snow and its stayed cold since then. and i got ich because a store sold me a sick fish and i didnt know but it died the next day and it had white spots all over it and i had no idea i was still learning so i never went back there then i got a new fish last month and in 2 days i started to see white spots so i took immediate action and did hyposalinity.
Yeah but even though you are trying to save whatever you have left, you should not have been in that position in the first place. If you had read up on what you were diving into instead of going in blind you wouldn't have killed everything you did.

PIOTR

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Anthony we are in a middle of winter so temp of the house should be at list 65 from beginning if you have animals living in it. Next time you are buying anything in any store you make sure they don't rob you of your money. Make sure fish is healthy it is your rosponsability to do that. I will say do not put anything in the system untill you actually live in the house.It is much easier to corect problems if you are in the house almost all the time. It will be a good idea to join one of locat reef clubs to get hands on experience.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea i never even knew fish could get sick when i got it. it was like in the very beginning the day after the nitrites went to 0. i was still extremely new to the hobby and just knew stuff from researching but now im learning by researching and personnel experience which i think is the best because its hands on but i thought manhattan reefs was a local reef club? otherwise i dont think many people around this neighborhood can afford reefs. maybe like 3 or 4 people within 10 miles.
Anthony we are in a middle of winter so temp of the house should be at list 65 from beginning if you have animals living in it. Next time you are buying anything in any store you make sure they don't rob you of your money. Make sure fish is healthy it is your rosponsability to do that. I will say do not put anything in the system untill you actually live in the house.It is much easier to corect problems if you are in the house almost all the time. It will be a good idea to join one of locat reef clubs to get hands on experience.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
wait..didn't you read a ton of books on fish and reefing and know everything about it? YET he had NO IDEA fish could get sick. How interesting is that? Also nice touch with the FAKE reefer ratings guys..I almost peed myself.

PREPARE YOURSELVES FELLOW REEFERS..
You definitely need your boots..and I DON'T mean for the snow

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i read them when they were given to me like 2 months into starting. just calm down and stop picking on 15 year old kids
wait..didn't you read a ton of books on fish and reefing and know everything about it? YET he had NO IDEA fish could get sick. How interesting is that? Also nice touch with the FAKE reefer ratings guys..I almost peed myself.

PREPARE YOURSELVES FELLOW REEFERS..
You definitely need your boots..and I DON'T mean for the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: