Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not to be overly harsh, but I'd be offering to pay for a few weeks worth of heat for the house the tank is in before you lose everything else.

Rome wasn't built in a day...you can wait until you have a summer job to get a Vortech. There are plenty of other cheap ways to move water for the time being.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
+1 to what Kathy said. How can you even think about buying a $400 powerhead when you are killing all your livestock?! If I were you I'd wait till I moved into the damn house and start from scratch! Sorry man but I think you gotta get you priorities straight

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i was supposed to move in the day i started the tank like 3 months ago but then stuff happened with inspections and stuff and i just couldn't take it down so i will be moving in, around the end of feb. or early march. i just didnt think 66 would be so bad because my neighbor had a 250 gallon reef with like every coral imaginable and he said his temp was constantly 68 with a 1 hp chiller because cold water makes coral healthier. i never really listened to him because i like keeping it at 79 but i didnt think 66 would kill them because its only 2 degrees below what he kept his extremely healthy tank at. but i think im going to move my heater and see if that helps because its in a hang on back refugium with only 250 gph flow so ill put it in my sump and see if that helps first. i could easily buy another heater but i just really want to get my flow up. do you think i should just buy the tunze now or just save up for vortechs? also with a tunze i will have some money to get a heater.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some positivity for you...think about it this way, you got some great experience. I kind of agree on this one, till you move in, you should consider a take down. PLUS, you wont have to go through this hypo.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
tear it down till i move... no way i would never do that especially since the house is only 3 houses down the block and i just walk over every day. and i think putting the heater in the sump will help bring it at least to 70 then ill buy another heater if i need to.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
there fish are ok i got the temp to raise up to 67 while i was there by moving the heater but the coral tank is just done... the only think living is a condy anemone and a green mushroom. all the hornets and zoanthids are dead all the sps and lps is dead theres no hope for that tank so in a couple of days i might just dump it or something and use the heater.
Seriously, get someone to coralsit your stuff. I'm sure there are lots of people up in the Bronx who would do it.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Jesus christ..LISTEN Take ALL the livestock out..bring it to your actual house you LIVE IN since it is only 3 blocks away so it might actually LIVE. Worry about the other crap later. At 15 years old with a tank only 3 months old how do you have $1000 worth of coral in the first place? I'm guessing your parents paid for it but just to add that much so fast is a lot! Your tank is probably not even stable enough yet to handle all that. You are making the tank go up and down between temperature and amonia levels from stuff dying. DO NOT add anything else to this tank other than a heater. Add the heater anyway just to see how you have to set them to get your temp stable.

PIOTR

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
the coral is in a 10 gallon tank that has a 200 watt heater and the temp is kept at around 75 because im doing hyposalinity on my main tank. i still have a couple of weeks with hypo but i have no hope for my coral. there was over $1000 worth and it just all died during the process of taking it out of the new tank because of stuff like this like the temp i had to use the heater from that tank because the fish tank went down really low so in just a few hours the coral tank went to 63 and i lost all my sps and a taodstool and a couple other things. then the salt level went really low in the coral tank because at the time i was using a hydrometer and it was like 5 points off so it was really low and i lost even more and with all the losses the phosphates went up so much that theres algae growing over every piece of coral and i just cant deal with that there nothing i can really do. i have an 11 oz bag of chemi pure elite and its not helping and i do 5 gallon water changes a week and sometimes twice a week so thats 50% and twice a week is 100%. i would buy another heater but im saving up for an mp40 so i can get sps in the main tank. but since i have all you people here on this thread what do you think i should get because i make $80 a weekend because im only 15 and go to school during the weekend and i have 2 people willing to sell me a tunze wavebox for 300 or i can get an mp40 for 395 but i heard the tunze just rocks the water and the mp40 pushes random flow. what would you suggest i start with for sps because i already have a koralia pushing 1600gph but its definitely now enough
Are you kiding??? 63 F PLEASE STOP KILLING ANIMALS AND GIVE EVERYTING TO SOMEBODY WHO IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO CARE FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
All the rock is Was fully cured my ammonia and nitrite barley went up in the cycle and it has never gone up since then even when I add another fish. I think everyone here is talking about the coral tank because there's nothing wrong with the display tank exept the temperature problem which is easily fixable. The coral tank is the only one that stuff died in because I didn't have anyone to hold it and it was rushed because all my fish got ich and I had to bring down the spinoff before they died. So i put it in the 10 gallon which started cycling and everything like a fresh tank so the coral died because of that and when I needed to use the heater.
Jesus christ..LISTEN Take ALL the livestock out..bring it to your actual house you LIVE IN since it is only 3 blocks away so it might actually LIVE. Worry about the other crap later. At 15 years old with a tank only 3 months old how do you have $1000 worth of coral in the first place? I'm guessing your parents paid for it but just to add that much so fast is a lot! Your tank is probably not even stable enough yet to handle all that. You are making the tank go up and down between temperature and amonia levels from stuff dying. DO NOT add anything else to this tank other than a heater. Add the heater anyway just to see how you have to set them to get your temp stable.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You not getting the point dude! Before the Hypo, you got all the corals, right? Your tank was way to immature, not unlike yourself, to handle that much of a bio-load. Just cause your tank is done cycling, dosent mean you can dump a bunch of animals in there at one shot. You have to add stuff slowly and let the bio catch up. That was your fist mistake. Then you stressed the **** outta EVERYTHING tryin to catch the fish and get them out of the DT. Then you decide not to get the fish, cause you couldnt, and took the corals out and put them in a non cycled 10 gal tank with what, a heater and small hob filter?!?!!!! And then you put this stupid post up wondering why your fish are scared of you and Im sittin here wandering why they are still alive!?!! I think you should slow down and start ALL OVER when you grow up a bit and start to learn and take good advice when its given!!!

PIOTR

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You not getting the point dude! Before the Hypo, you got all the corals, right? Your tank was way to immature, not unlike yourself, to handle that much of a bio-load. Just cause your tank is done cycling, dosent mean you can dump a bunch of animals in there at one shot. You have to add stuff slowly and let the bio catch up. That was your fist mistake. Then you stressed the **** outta EVERYTHING tryin to catch the fish and get them out of the DT. Then you decide not to get the fish, cause you couldnt, and took the corals out and put them in a non cycled 10 gal tank with what, a heater and small hob filter?!?!!!! And then you put this stupid post up wondering why your fish are scared of you and Im sittin here wandering why they are still alive!?!! I think you should slow down and start ALL OVER when you grow up a bit and start to learn and take good advice when its given!!!
AMEN TO THAT. Plus you fish is in STRESS. That's why they are shy. Will you be happy if I told you to stay out side with out your coat in 40 degree weather.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Trust me...he loves this thing too much to start over...And first of all, he didnt have that big of a bioload...100% of his rock came from an established tank. All he had in his DT was like 3 fish and few frags...I dont really think it was his fault cause what do you do if a fish gets ich?? Just it leave it there?? He had no choice and unfortunately, his emergency plan didnt go so well. Also, lets not forget he had a 125 gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: