caljah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
90 Gallon oceanic tech tank
ADHI sump 30 30x14x18 (skimmer chamber 13.5x10)
ATB cone skimmer small (14x8x20)
120 lb. of sand

120 lb. of rocks

I decided that I should get a better skimmer, upgraded from my Euro 80. The problem is the skimmer won't fit in the skimmer chamber.

My options as I see them.

1) See if someone would come to my house and move the skimmer chamber wall 2 inches. Can that be done?

2) Get a new sump and all that goes with that. What would you recommend? My cabinet is 38x14

3)Try and sell the skimmer and get a new one that would fit.

4)Put it in perspective, and understand that this is not a problem.

5) See it as a reminder that in this hobby, slow and steady is the golden rule.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You can try to shorten the tube that connects the pump to the skimmer by 1/2 an inch. That may give you the room you need. Otherwise:

1) See if someone would come to my house and move the skimmer chamber wall 2 inches. Can that be done?
It can be done, but it's not easy to do and I would not recommend it. Can you return this sump for a full refund?

2) Get a new sump and all that goes with that. What would you recommend? My cabinet is 38x14
A common 30 gallon tank (36"x12"x16") would fit in that space. You can buy glass baffles and silicone them in yourself and create sump chamber sizes to fit your specific needs. Working with glass and silicone is fairly easy and forgiving. A mistake can be corrected with a razorblade and some elbow grease. Working with acrylic and acrylic cement (Weld-on) is not so forgiving, usually a one shot deal. Hence, I would not recommend cutting apart your ADHI sump.
This option wold be cheaper that buying a new skimmer or new pre-made sump as well. It just requires some work on your part.

3)Try and sell the skimmer and get a new one that would fit.
This choice is probably the easiest thing to do. It is a great skimmer though. Can you return the skimmer for a full refund?

4)Put it in perspective, and understand that this is not a problem.
That is the right attitude. Just an oversight that can be corrected fairly easily. If this is the only mistake you make while setting up the tank you are blessed. I was not so lucky.

5) See it as a reminder that in this hobby, slow and steady is the golden rule.[/QUOTE]
I could not agree more.

Celestin

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
also, if you decide to keep the sump and move a baffle, you may want to also build something to prop up the skimmer. i looked up that sump and the skimmer area's water level is 12" which I would think to be too high for most skimmers. you may want to look into what is the best height for the skimmer and make a platform.

caljah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You are so correct. I am now thinking of getting a custom sump made. What are the sections I should make sure I have and for what parts. Here is what I am thinking. A four part sump. The first part for sump and reactor, second for refugium, third part for return and forth part for water to make a top off system. What else?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: