DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I've been running a 10 gallon for about a year now and I'm slowly upgrading to a 20L. I was wondering what the protocol was for cycling the next tank. I have about 15lbs of live rock and plan on acquiring another 10lbs.

Do I cycle the new tank with just the additional 10lbs of live rock and then move everything over? or should I just get dead rock and move everything over right away? The tank comes with more live sand.

Obviously I'd like to avoid a mini-cycle with my beloved clowns but I am always eager to upgrade. Thanks for the advice.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just went froma 36 to a 65 + 15 gallon sump.
I did 3 water changes of 5 gallons everyday in consecutive days from the old tank and mixed that water with new salt water mix. I put it in the new tank. ran it for a few days with live rock... made sure that I tried to match up the params as closely as possible:
ph, calcium, mag, alk & temp.
I tested for the usual ammonia, nitrite & nitrates while the new tank was running to make sure nothing was spiking
During the move, I took out all of the coral & rocks and placed them into big bins with as much of the old tank water as possible... I setup the rest of the base rocks... then the sand (old and new sand). and then finally the coral.....
just try to use as much of the old tank water, LR & sand as possible.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
that was what I was thinking. I guess as long as I monitor ammonia I'm in good shape. Thanks for the advice.

everything. ammonia. nitrites. nitrates. ca mg alk salinity
I tried to match the tanks as best as possible...and don't rush it..if you have the luxary of having both tanks setup at the same time.... why not let the new 1 settle in over a 2 week period.... a 10G tank should take you around 1 -2 hours to do

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: