oscar139

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so, i have a two week old 20 gallon tank. i have put live rock, some water and sand from my 55 gallon into this tank. and it in the process of a nitrate spike. another problem, i am getting a pistol shrimp around wednesday and i was just wondering how a fish would help/hurt the nitrate problem? please help.:eek:

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
anything you add will cause the ammo/trite/trate to spike on a new tank or a small tank that can be significant. when starting a new tank its important to go slowly to allow the tank to build up the ability to handle more load. adding a fish definetly wont help. go slowly grasshopper!

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its not so much the fish themselves that cause the nitrate. It's how you feed them. The more fish, the more you have to feed, the more waste. So it gets confused a lot of the time. You could have very few fish but feed way too heavy and destroy your cycle.

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
You said you are taking the water and rock and sand from your existing 55 gallon. How long has your 55 gallon been up and running? If that tank doesn't have high nitrates then one possible explanation could be that the sand you took out stirred up your sandbed and then caused a nitrate spike.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: