Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow tang about a week ago and it got ick and died within a few days. Now my concern is with the rest of my fish in the tank. I have a flame angel with the same symtoms and am very concerned about it. Will using an ick removing medicine that is reef safe help? I brought my water to a local pet shop and they said my parameters are perfect. I am stuck now and need help.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A more natural solution would be garlic. Garlic extract or Kent's Garlic Extreme. Soak mysis shrimp in the garlic and let it sit for a while then dump in in your tank...this will give your fish a better immune system.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Ich is a free floating parasite...it dies in about 2 days if it cannot find another host. A more natural solution would be garlic. Garlic extract or Kent's Garlic Extreme. Soak mysis shrimp in the garlic and let it sit for a while then dump in in your tank. Also, raise your temp to about 82 degrees. Cleaner shrimp or wrasse can also help.

Garlic does not kill ich. The only thing it may do is cause your fish to be more interested in eating and might possibly boost it's immune system (which won't keep a parasite from attaching).
Raising the temp of a reef tank is if-fy business as some tanks get rather warm when the lighting is on and an increase like this could possibly kill the entire tank if it gets too hot. So this is a POOR idea.
The increase in temp is not proven to be effective in shortening the life cycle of marine ich.

Alkurtys - can you tell us more about your tank - the size, what other fish you have. Do you have the space to set up a QT tank at home?

Also - read this info on Ich so you are more familiar with what you are dealing with:
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, I didnt mention it kills it, but its an ok treatment...I thought one of my fish had ich, but I fed it garlic soaked mysis shrimp for 3 weeks and all the fish are clean and I still feed them garlic soaked mysis just to be safe.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Ich is a free floating parasite...it dies in about 2 days if it cannot find another host. A more natural solution would be garlic. Garlic extract or Kent's Garlic Extreme. Soak mysis shrimp in the garlic and let it sit for a while then dump in in your tank. Also, raise your temp to about 82 degrees (Higher temps will eliminate some ich). Cleaner shrimp or wrasse can also help.

you should not be giving any advice on anything. your experience doesnt warrant it. ich can live for 72 days without a host.

read up on ich

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-beginners/38671-ich-information.html

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
livestock

Garlic does not kill ich. The only thing it may do is cause your fish to be more interested in eating and might possibly boost it's immune system (which won't keep a parasite from attaching).
Raising the temp of a reef tank is if-fy business as some tanks get rather warm when the lighting is on and an increase like this could possibly kill the entire tank if it gets too hot. So this is a POOR idea.
The increase in temp is not proven to be effective in shortening the life cycle of marine ich.

Alkurtys - can you tell us more about your tank - the size, what other fish you have. Do you have the space to set up a QT tank at home?

Also - read this info on Ich so you are more familiar with what you are dealing with:
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html
I have a 55 soon to be 90 gallon reef with 2 clowns a six line and a flame angel and 2 damsels and a fire tail goby. And a number of snails and crabs. And yes iI can setup a quarantine tank but what size should it be?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A minimum of 20g's, 30 if you can do it.
Did you read on that site how to treat Ich - either by using hyposalinity or copper?

You don't already happen to have the 90 do you?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallon

A minimum of 20g's, 30 if you can do it.
Did you read on that site how to treat Ich - either by using hyposalinity or copper?

You don't already happen to have the 90 do you?
Sorry went to bed early. I am picking up the tank on Fri. Woke up to my yellow tail damsel being eaten by my hermit crab. He must of been effected by the ich also.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
come on arati post it back lol but in all seriousness garlic doesnt cure ich, it will help build the immune system supposedly but does not keep fish from getting sick. and using alot of garlic brings nutrients into the tank

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hi, like I said yesterday QT right away unless you want to risk more fish dying. Google how to do it as it has been covered millions of times but you should get the rest of your fish out and into a copper medicated OR low salinity tank. Don't wait.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I personally prefer Hypo-salinity, it's less stressful on the fish. You have to get and keep all of the fish out of the tank for at least 6 weeks, this allows ample time for the Ich in the DT to go through it's lifecycle (Ich will die off if cannot find a host this is why you must remove all of the fish from the DT and keep them out anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks) and the proper amount of time to treat the fish in the Hypo tank. If you chose this method you must have a properly calibrated refractometer otherwise don't even attempt it. Also do not put your DT through Hypo treatment because inverts, corals and some strains of bacteria will die off. (There are certain fish that cannot go through Hypo either, some types of sharks and forgot what else).

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally prefer Hypo-salinity, it's less stressful on the fish. You have to get and keep all of the fish out of the tank for at least 6 weeks, this allows ample time for the Ich in the DT to go through it's lifecycle (Ich will die off if cannot find a host this is why you must remove all of the fish from the DT and keep them out anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks) and the proper amount of time to treat the fish in the Hypo tank. If you chose this method you must have a properly calibrated refractometer otherwise don't even attempt it. Also do not put your DT through Hypo treatment because inverts, corals and some strains of bacteria will die off. (There are certain fish that cannot go through Hypo either, some types of sharks and forgot what else).

Yes, while we are on this topic...I have a question between hydrometer vs. refractometer. I see how my friend does his hypo, and he started his hypo using a hydrometer and I think he still does...If you were in his situation, would you just simply continue hypo and just switch to refractometer, or continue hypo with the hydrometer?

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yes, while we are on this topic...I have a question between hydrometer vs. refractometer. I see how my friend does his hypo, and he started his hypo using a hydrometer and I think he still does...If you were in his situation, would you just simply continue hypo and just switch to refractometer, or continue hypo with the hydrometer?

Hydrometers, (swing arm type and the floating type) are not as accurate as good refractometer. If I was your friend I would stop with the hydrometers and get a refractometer with pinpoint calibration fluid and use it instead. It is too easy to go below 1.009 using hydrometers which will jeopardize the health of the animals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: