BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Hi everyone. I was wondering what to do if Halimeda goes sexual. I recently bought a bunch and its turning white. I tried clipping the white parts off, then I read you shouldn't do that. Should I take it out all together? Can it spread to other algae?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Chris

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Halimeda doesn't go asexual, like some of the others algae do. Just leave it alone, give it light, and make sure you Alk & Cal levels are good, and it will turn green and grow. Also, if you didn't know already, Halimeda uses Alk & Cal, so you need to watch how big it grows as it can be a drain on your system. I would be more worried about that than anything else.

Also if you want to remove some pieces of it, then it's best to take a pair of scissors and cut off pieces, as unlike other plant type algae it's very hard.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I look at the link, including the pictures, and I would think it probably from something else, as everything was slimming. All I saw was one picture of the Halimeda, and that was outside the tank, and it look white, which is very common. I've had this, white look, in my tank, and seen it in plenty of others without any problems. I've put pieces in bags, with water, and let then stay like that for months, only to have them color up when placed in a tank.It's very possible that the colony he had got very large and some started to decay and die off, which caused the problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: