Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just ran out of my 6.6 oz. Jug of it. I love it, my levels were good with it. Fish and corals seem happy with it. I am gla this was posted because I wa considering moving towered a 4 part ESV salt but would love to hear some more opinions about both

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

reefjunkie09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use H2ocean now. I switched from Tropic Marin and I am so glad I did! It's a lil pricey but I guess you pay for what you get. Since the switch about 2 months ago I've seen better color and my magnesium level is on point. Great salt worth the extra money

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I use H2ocean now. I switched from Tropic Marin and I am so glad I did! It's a lil pricey but I guess you pay for what you get. Since the switch about 2 months ago I've seen better color and my magnesium level is on point. Great salt worth the extra money

Which Tropic Marin were you using? i'm using T.M. Pro right now... I've seen such a difference w/ dosing since I switched from Reef Crystals, then Instant Ocean. What was the biggest difference that you noticed after you switched?

reefjunkie09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yoshi I was using the regular Tropic Marin not the pro reef. The biggest difference I notice was the magnesium level on the TM I was using was was between 900-1000 on a fresh batch of salt mix. The h2ocean has been over 1300 every time. I no longer am struggling to get up and maintain my mag level.

trivan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You get measuring spoons with the mix. I found that measuring by weight a lot easier, I use a kitchen scale. I always get distracted and lose count :irked:

The first couple of batches are a pain b/c you have to know how much water you are putting in, but after that it's pretty simple. MY WC container is marked with a high and low, so between them is 10 gallons. Makes things pretty easy. If I'm off, I go over with salinity and then just add RO/DI to bring it to what I want.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
wait... i need t actually test it with a kit or do i just measure it with the measuring spoons that it includes.

ESV is a 4 part mix and each package comes with the measuring utensils necessary to measure the mixes.
It also has a page with the different volumes needed for making different amounts of water.
No rocket science needed to mix this salt! :)

What do DO need to know is how much WATER you are adding the mix to. I know that in my Brute can that if the rodi water is 5 3/4" below the top rim - I have 20 gallons in there ( I had earlier measure my gallons using another vessel I have that has actual measured gallons on it).

ESV is designed to mix to a salinity of 1.023, so if you run your tank slightly higher you should 'short' your water vessel by a few gallons less RO (depending on the volume you are making) and then check it with your refractometer and add a little more RO water to get to the salinity you prefer.

Properly mixed ESV salt requires no additional dosing to your tank..unless YOU want different parameters. I love the stuff.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used H2ocean for about a year. I tried and still using ESV. Both are good. No diffence in my SPS and corals maybe because I do weekly water changes. Mixing ESV is no big deal. Only thing about ESV you have to store more things. Three gallons of solution and big bag of salt with a small bag of Magnesium with some cups. ESV doesn't really get cloudy if it does its for a few minutes. Where other salts take a longer time. So all this hype of which salt. I would use either of these two. Go for the one thats on sale...............

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: