furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So i've been intrigued by Reef aquariums for a while but never actually researched them until now. It seems that the rewards of culturing an ecosystem outweigh the amount of work, so i decided to keep it simple and stick to a ~30G all-in-one tank.

Right now im considering a new Nano Cube HQI from marinedepot or a used RSM 130 locally. I prefer the RSM for its looks and larger size, and the higher quality stand, but I've heard there are some minor upgrades i may need to make.

Assuming they are the same price, what would you guys choose?

I plan on going nice and slow in gathering up all the necessary supplies and would like the keep the budget as low as possible with used equipment and buying supplies off craigslist etc.

My biggest concern right now is water changes; i rent and really do not want to buy/install an Ro/Di unit. Do you think i can get by purchasing 5G of water to account for weekly water changes (10% of 34g is ~3.4g), or do you think this will get tiring after a while? Weekly water changes seem cumbersome so im hoping that this aspect does not turn me off from maintaining a tank.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I change weekly, and it's about a 5 minutes process: siphon water out. siphon water in.
the hardest part of the water change is making sure you don't swallow the tank water on it's way out.
I have a 36 bowfront & stand for $75 but it's not drilled if you want to go that route...i'm in northern jersey border of livingston & short hills.

In terms of water changes weekly is better than monthly. it keeps the levels consistent..replenishes minerals/trace elements & helps to keep a healthier tank.
The hardest part about starting up is to resist buying anything until your nitrogen cycle is done.

When I was running the 36 I changed in 5 gallon buckets weekly and it seemed to keep everything healthy.

People say that you shouldn't use a canister filter for saltwater b/c it can be a nitrogen factory...I did it for 7 months, and I never had a problem.. just rinsed the media inside weekly whenever I did the water changes.. total time spent on water change and cleaning the canister media: 10 minutes.

LMK if you want my old setup... $175 for everything & I'll throw in extras to help get you started.

acromike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option for making water is to get one of them tap water filters.I been using mine for 5 yrs now and never had a problem.They tell you to replace the filter every 100 gallons but i get more then a 100 out of a filter.They just hook up to your faucet with the supplied adaptor.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I know you said you don't want to spend $$ on a Ro/DI filter..... but if you really want a close to worrisome free Reef..... Its about -water quality-

SOoooooo Most important thing when setting up a reef (For me) is a Ro/DI unit or any other filter that can get you a reading of -0- on a TDS MEATER OR CLOSE TO IT.

Then you should go from there. :)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you are going to stay in the all in one category you can use the petco water. I have been using it for a long time and it is quite simple. When you factor in the cost of salt, RODI units and replacement filters the petco water averages out to be less than that. Plus when you do a water change you can drain 5 gallons, open the box and put 5 gallons right in. I use Distilled for top offs.

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks, Ill look into the Petco water and perhaps consider the Ro/Di when i get tired of buying water and lugging it around.

Any suggestions on which tank is a better start? I plan on a Reef setup with fish, inverts, and coral...nothing too fancy (at least not right now)

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
All in ones are great.

I started with a 34g solana which i loved, the design is great and has a great footprint of 20x20x20... Its starfire glass and the clarity is GREAT... Very similar to the RSM but i chose it because of the rimless design and open top. Please note that covered aquariums tend to run hot and could cause heat issues if the tank is not going to be in well cooled and ventilated room.

I would definitely choose the RSM over the the hqi. its much nicer looking and you should be able to sustain just about everything with the stock lighting.

I would avoid a closed system like the HQI running MH. Think heat issues would be a real problem unless you run a chiller [considering your trying to do this on a budget i dont see that happening]

My personal tank is roughly 30gallons..

There are options:

I personally buy pre-made water from petco. I dont have a rodi and cant where im at. i live with a warden and she wont allow it lol...So i buy the petco brand pre made water and do a water change every 2 weeks of 5 gallons. You could also buy the nutri sea water. They are basically the same thing just ones petcos brand.....bunch of places carry it.

heres is some links for reference:

http://www.nutriseawater.com/

http://www.petco.com/product/11884/PETCO-Real-Ocean-Water.aspx

Like stated above if you go this route make sure you have some on hand for emergency water changes.

For Top offs:

I top off with Distilled water from the supermarket. Neither of these are the cheapest options but it does the job for me and havent had problems with it. I know plenty of people doing this and its fine. [when water evaporates from the tank the salt does not evaporate...this will make your salt levels rise so you need to top off with RODI or distilled water] i dont suggest using just a tap water filter. it works for some but can cause nuisance algae and other problems.

hope i have helped...

Jonnyyyyy

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys lots of helpful advice! I think I'm gonna go for the rsm, is it true that placing the tank near,a window will encourage algae growth? I think in the beginning I'll start with 5 gallon water changes them adjust from there based on water quality

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
remember start off slow, do plenty of reading/research and ask questions. And don't forget start off slow, and be very PATIENT.

All the best,

~James

nittinid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on doing inverts and corals theres no way around it...you need an ro/di filter....i bought the 4.5 jugs of water...two weeks later i realized if im gonna be in this hobby...do it right...for them!!! ...and as pocket friendly as possible for me...emergency water changes are gonna come up during the cycle process..yes the jugs are good but become expensive at times...and if your gonna get into this hobby you need to realize that its gonna demand time from you to change their water as well as preparing their water...and to add top off water as well...its a major rule in this hobby(good water quality)it becomes easier as time passes and you find a good routine on how to change water...ro/di filter will save you money in the long run...the first 3 weeks into my tank i spent over $200 just on water that i syphoned out a week later...save your money for your fish and corals....not on water that their gonna pee in...:)

djyoshi....lmaoooo...your so right...i always put a bucket next to me just to spit the water into when syphoning....:)

furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ended up with the RSM 130, and very happy. Got some free supplies too to get me started. Now I continue my research into how to get it up and running properly. Im being swayed towards some sort of RO/DI unit, my 2 choices are :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NJ6/?tag=reefs04-20

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Mini-R...pliances_US&hash=item1e5bc53b59#ht_4809wt_905

Im also thinking of adding some DIY LED moonlights to the hood since it only has one light setting stock.

Will definitely take it sloww....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: