UncleMike

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new to the hobby. I have a 30 gallon tank with 40lbs of live rock and crushed coral as my substrate. The tank has just finished cycling and I am anxious (but patient) to start adding critters/fish. My goal is to have a fuzzy dwarf lion and a few tank mates. My question is who/what to add? I'm going to be getting a clean up crew first along with an algae blenny and I was thinking a a mid-sized clown. I was also thinking of getting a snowflake eel but have heard horror stories about them escaping. I've also heard conflicting reports that those stories are the exception rather then the rule. I have a solid lid but had to punch out the plastic template for the filter. There is about an inch and a half gap. I was told cutting a piece of plexiglass to fit would do the trick.

What do you guys think? Would that work? Any other suggestions to seal the lid? Should I be overly concerned? Should I avoid an eel with my current set up?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
That is quite a bit of fish in this size tank. I would also stay away from any fish small enough to fit in the lionfish's mouth. The blenny and the clown might end up being a small snack. The eel is a jumper so a tight fitting lid is a must. They are escape artists.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
maybe he is going for a sardine can.

Welcome, hopefully you will find a lot of help here.
Don't worry about a cleanup crew until you have what to clean up. Otherwise they will just starve. I would start with some critters just to make sure things are fairly stable. So you might get a few snails and hermits. You can't get much fish in there but if you go for the small ones you can get more. However that won't work with a lion around. I have a 24 gallon and have a blue chromis, a red firefish, a clown goby, a spotted cardinal, a neon goby and a rusty goby. A royal gramma would also work for you as would a chalk bass. Just some ideas.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: