DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have about 40-50lbs of liverock that has been in my 29 gallon biocube for 1.5 years. In my new 60 cube build I would like to reuse the rock because they are covered in corals, but I have some hair and bubble algae on the rocks right now. I know in the current tank I have higher than ideal phosphates and nitrates that I've been battling since the beginning, but have been going down. I converted the back chambers into a small fuge.

I want to use my 50 lbs of liverock and add about 25-50lbs of dry marco rock. I want to cycle the tank with the dry rock and a small piece of live rock for seeding purposes and then once that has cycled, put the remaining rock into the new tank. (existing tank is in eastern LI and new tank will be in Boston so look for a tank moving advice thread in the future)

If I keep my trates and phos down and start up pretty good sized fuge while manually removing as much of the nuisance algae as I can every couple of days, will the hair and bubble algae start to go away or will it eventually spread all around the tank? I plan to add a couple of emerald crabs to help with it, but I have used emeralds in the past with mixed results in algae removal.

The other option would be to chip off all corals and then boil my rock and cycle with all dry rock for a while. I am concerned that when the corals are introduced to the new tank, the nuisance algae will most likely be on the corals and still get into the system. Would this be better because there would be less introduced in the beginning and would be easier to manage?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

fab1971

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm doing the same thing with my tank. I have an established 2 yr reef tank but plenty of pests and nuissance algae. Just set up a new tank beside it with macro rock. When the new one goes through the cycle, I'm going to chip and break the corals off the old crappy rock and put into my new system.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That is one of my options, I know there will be hair and bubble algae on the corals and chipped off rock that they are attached to that will get in the new tank so (although less nuisance algae would get transferred) it would be like I'm starting off the same as just throwing all the rock right in without boiling it.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Get some snails and hermits and call it a day I would not get emerald crabs. Personally I recently did basically the same thing. I bought a tank setup but gave the tank to my brother. I kept all the fish and rocks with corals on them and added them to 1 of my tanks I just dripped everything in for an hour and called it a day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: