Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last year I've been using the cheap plastic swing arm hydrometer and shot for a 1.025 sg. Got my new refractometer today and calibrated with supplied new calibration fluid and took the reading from my 180 g DT. It read 1.030. I've started a paced tank dilution.

The question is that since I've kept the reef tank at what I now know to be 1.030, what has been the impact on the tank?. I haven't been really impressed with my coralline buildup or lps growth even when maintaining alk 10.2, pH 8.3 cal 480 mg 1380 nitrates at 5 and phosphates at .07 (got the Hanna meter a couple of weeks ago working on getting that lower with GFO)

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you posted this. I just got my refractometer yesterday. I've been using a swing arm since I started the hobby and I am in the same boat as you. Swing arm says 1.025, refract says 1.030. That explains why over time (from the time when I first got the swing arm) I needed more salt than my usual measuring cup to bring a 5 gallon bucket to 1.025. I too would like to know if there has been any impact on my tank as well.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You might want to drop your calc and alk down a bit too, maybe even your mag a bit. It might fix your growth problem. What temp is your tank because that can affect what all the levels in your tank are.

Anyways, having a higher salinity in your tank doesn't affect anything short term (high salinity within reason) but alot of coral get stressed at higher salinity levels. Its not really how high or how low thats the problem, its how quickly it gets to that high and low that is the real problem. Either evaporation causes a salinity swing too stressful when they are at a high, or the people correct the sality too quickly without letting things acclimate to it.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on high salinity will probably chime in to explain more. Just take it down slowly, like 1-2 weeks slowly not a few days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: