Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,

I'm constructing a 30 gal sump tank. I have a standard rectangle 30 gallon glass tank that I am going to be using. I am getting the panes that need to be glued into the middle soon.

I need to purchase a glue / silicone that won't harm my tanks water conditions.

Can someone recommend me what I should purchase?

Thanks,

Roy

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost diff. between what a LFS charges for a tube of AGA silicone VS what HD charges for a tube of one of the GE sealants isn't worth making a trip to HD for. Remember one is an adhesive, the other is a sealant. Both contain 100% silicone. Sniff what comes out of the AGA tube and the acetic acid will curl the hairs on your nose. Sniff what comes out of the GE tubes and let's just say tou'll trust your nose at that point. They aren't the same stuff, and in my mind the GE's shouldn't be depended on to hold back water pressure for extended periods. Just my 2 bits.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
well idk about everyone else but i used some AGA silicone which had an extremely strong smell to it that mad you close your eyes and cough, then when i ran out i used some regular 100% silicone from home depot that didn't smell at all and the water ha been running through the 55 gallon sump for like 3 weeks now and its all good.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
+1 Aquarium safe in large bold letters. Even if it says 100% silicone it does not mean its aquarium safe.

Home Depot sells it in toothpaste tube sizes and that is the stuff. It does smell until cured.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: