Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What's wrong with my Duncan Coral...

So for the past 3 days my Duncan has not been doing very well. It is not opening up fully by any means. Nothing else in the tank is acting differently at all. I tested my water params on Feb. 26th. They were as follows:

Alk. 9.6 dKH
Calc. 390 ppm
pH 8.1
Amm. 0

(Those are the only test kits that I own, I know that I need more... i.e. mag, nit, etc...)

On Feb. 26th I also added a clam and a small cardinalfish. I tilted my par38 lights onto the new crocea clam so that it would get adequate light and thus gave the Duncan a bit more light because it was somewhat near that. After about a day of the Duncan being closed, I moved it to a slightly darker spot to see if it wanted less light, but that didn't help so I moved it back to more lighting (moderate lighting). It also has constantly been on moderate flow.

I thought the clam would deplete my calcium so the first and only thing I had time to test was Ca. today.It was 420. I will test the rest tomorrow.
I am mixing saltwater for a water change, but it may have to wait until tomorrow to get to the right temp.

This has been a very healthy coral. Here is a photo of how the coral has been for the past 2 months:

led4.jpg

This is how it's looked the past 3 days... :(

_49346.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Kathy, Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm not spot feeding anything in my tank per Randy's suggestion. I just moved it into a bit more light about 30 mins ago, and it seems to be opening up a bit. I will obviously keep an eye on it until it gets better.

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
+1 on the flow and the new heads. I know when I move the powerheads to clean sometimes my duncans will close up for a couple of days. Also, I noticed that when new heads are popping out they will close up for a little. I dont spot feed mine either and they are growing like weeds.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I gave up spot feeding mine. I used to use the half a plastic bottle target feeding. Now I feed the tank cyclopeez weekly and mine are sprouting like crazy.

Probably a flow thing. Give them some more time.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My tank doesn't have too much flow in general, it's definitely not getting too much flow.

Update:

Tested my water today after I did a 5 gallon water change. Levels are as follows:

Alk: 9.0 dKH
Clac: 400 ppm
pH: 8.2
Amm: 0

Here is a photo of the Duncan, it looks a bit better. I moved it into slightly more light and it almost immediately started to do better. I will continue to keep an eye on it.

duncan2.jpg

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know this thread is old, but Duncan is doing the same thing again. I have been spot-feeding fauna marin LPS food for the past couple of weeks. Wow, that stuff is incredible. My duncan beefed up big time. I saw that it sprouted 3 new heads and then went back to the deflated state which is where it stands now. It's been like that for about 1.5 weeks. Is the longer period due to the greater amount of new heads that sprouted? Any idea when it should bounce back?

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
duncans are crazy lil critters josh , i wouldnt give it too much time as they will do whatever they please. for example in my tank thread you can see mine and it is big and has six heads along its side and i spot feed it rods every three days and i keep it in mid flow at the end of my lights footprint and it waves all day long like a hula girl . dont worry these things have a mind of there own.

jfahim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I bought 3 heads from aquatic obsession months ago and now I have 12.
All I can say is leave them alone. You seem to keep moving them around and that is probably making them go crazy.

I do not spot feed and I hate moving things around.

Just leave it and wait, especially if all your other corals are fine.

One example I had with another coral. Leather toadstool. The polyps stopped coming out. It shriveled and just sat there for almost 2 weeks.

All of a sudden without me doing anything they opened right up and are doing great.

Just be patient and let nature take its course

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: