secaucusboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Two years ago I had a fire that destroyed my home including my 125 gallon reef tank. Thank God nobody was seriously hurt except my passion for reefing. I told myself that I should leave the hobby and focus on rebuilding my family life making sure my wife and kids will have a home.

After one year and overcoming a lot challenges, we moved to a new home. At the same time I still have access to the old burnt house. I decided to salvage whatever I can from that burnt home. I guess in my subconscious mind I never left the hobby because I took from the rubles the no-longer-live rocks and some aquarium equipment which included my old 55 gallon non-reef tank and its metal stand. I decided to make a simple setup on the new home because I know the kids would love it.

Six months later, which was December of 2010, my cousin DEL introduced me to Manhattan Reefs. I did not give it much thought because for me I did not want to waste money on setting up an elaborate saltwater tank. Come January, I started using my MR account just to see what it is about. Then I came across a 34 g Solana tank from JOHANNA which I ended up buying on sale due to its small footprint and AIO, low maintenance feature. Then FLOWERHORN had a moving sale and I end up getting carried away and bought a bunch of fish and corals. The 34 g Solana was not big enough. I kept telling myself that I'm not spending anymore dough. Then STRAIGHTJIGGY10 came across my inquiry on 60 g cubes pn one of the threads and offered me his tank because we was about to upgrade. After much negotiation, I bought his tank, stand, custom sump, skimmer, phosban reactor, chiller and the plumbing. Then I bought Tunze Osmolator 3155 water leveler by NAPLES , Aqua Controller Jr by a MR member, CPR large Aquafuge from Craiglist, UV sterilizer, brand new LEDs and VorTech MP10w ES.

I retrofitted my old wet/dry with built-in skimmer in the custom sump which I find more effective and easier to maintain. I don't have a lot in the tank and still deciding what to do with it. Please feel free to input your ideas or better yet contribute a frag :happysad: hehe.

There are lot of cool people in this community of reefers, and I'm happy :lol2: to be part of it. Happy reefing!!:wink1:

Attachments

• DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 756
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 736
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 728
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:

secaucusboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Uncle Jiggy, there are two solid rocks that are holding things together...

Tentacles, i've been contemplating going all-mushrooms which is very easy to keep but where would be the excitement on that??

Last edited:

reefgeek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OMG!!!!!! i have one of those black damsels in my 200gal reef...there so cool when there juvies no he"s a big black terror with almost no blue left in him and i cant get him out!!! BEWARE OF THE BLACK TERROR!!!!!

roccoharley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
cube

cubes r great but have to be set up right depending on what type of coral u deside to put in thier.. im still working on mine and tying to figure things out myself but i figured a pic of mine can help with some ideas. and once i start to cut thing up and start franging ill shoot u a pm... for now good luck

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 116

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: