DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I pulled the trigger today on the new build and ordered the marineland 60 cube and 45 cube (sump) today and I want to start the build ASAP. (luckily ML tanks are on sale this week so the price was a good deal lower than I had expected!!! :hb2:) I have decided to go with the 700 gph glass-holes overflow and I am pretty sure I am going to do 2- 3/4" lockline returns also from GH. (Overflow will be in the middle and returns on either side.) I will be using 2- MP10's in the display so I am not relying heavily on the returns for flow. I emailed the GH guys and asked him this questions a couple of times and got a vague confusing answer each time so I figured I'd ask it here:

What size return pump would be good for the 60 cube display with 45 sump, 700gph overflow and 2- 3/4" returns overcoming about 4.5 ft of head?

What would a good internal pump for the above system and sizing that doesn't get too hot and isn't too noisy?

Also suggestions of my overall system through experience is welcome!

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Mag pumps are reliable but noisy, and eheim would be the way to go. I'm using a Marineland 5500 which was recommended to me and am liking it a lot, it's a 1350 gph internal pump and sooooooo quiet plus the price was right.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i honestly think the mag 5 isn't strong enough since it's dual return.
I'm using a Mag 7 with a single return on a 65, 15 gallon sump, 4 gallon fuge.and that pump still isn't turning over enough water I think... I'm moving to the Eheim 1262... QUIET, reliable...and produces less heat than mags do.

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I second a mag 5. You shouldn't have to depend on a return pump for flow. It best to have the water move slow in the sump area to give your skimmer a better chance to work. Just my $.02
BTW what are you keeping in the tank... As for corals?

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i have a 46 bow with a mag 7.5. i honestly wish i went with a 9.

usually i take the size of the tank and X it by 10 if its not reef ready...
usually i take the size of the tank and X it by 12.5 for a reef ready...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You need to be extremely careful with the setup the way you're planning it, it is a recipe for a potential flood. You should always have your overflow sized so that it can handle more flow than your returns. You've got it reversed. The returns in your design can handle 1200 gph while your overflow is only rated for 700 gph.

In order to calculate the size pump you should use you need to take into consideration the vertical lift of the water from the water level in your sump to the return locline + the number of pvc fittings in your return line (ball valves, unions, elbows, 45's, couplings, wye's, T's, etc.). Remember, you're splitting your pump discharge into two returns.

Without the above information you can't accurately size the pump.

Russ

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You need to be extremely careful with the setup the way you're planning it, it is a recipe for a potential flood. You should always have your overflow sized so that it can handle more flow than your returns. You've got it reversed. The returns in your design can handle 1200 gph while your overflow is only rated for 700 gph.

In order to calculate the size pump you should use you need to take into consideration the vertical lift of the water from the water level in your sump to the return locline + the number of pvc fittings in your return line (ball valves, unions, elbows, 45's, couplings, wye's, T's, etc.). Remember, you're splitting your pump discharge into two returns.

Without the above information you can't accurately size the pump.

Russ

Thanks Russ for the input. When you say that you should always have your overflow sized so that it can handle more flow than your returns, why is this so? Won't the return pump be the major determining factor for the amount of water getting pumped back into the display?

Where do you get your figure of 1200 gph for the dual returns? If I were to go with 2- 1/2" returns how would this affect the the gph? I was planning on putting a valve on each return so that I can adjust the flow as needed is this a redundant idea? Also I was planning for the inverts of the return lines into the tank to be higher than the invert of the overflow teeth.

I have not completely planned out the plumbing and was planning to do so once I have the stand built and know the height of everything so I do not have a number of fittings. I know there are factors for the types of fitting used, but I wasn't planning on many drastic changes in the direction of flow so I didn't think this would be a big factor in deciding the pump.

Also the guys from GH said this when I asked if his 4-500 gph that he recommended is the rating of the pump or the flow at the invert of the return lines

"400-500 would be the actual flow rate, so head and plumbing losses would be considered"

which seemed low when you factor in the head it must overcome, but I don't have much experience.

With all that said, what alterations would you recommend for my design and also what pump (that doesn't produce a lot of heat and is very quiet) would you recommend. I wouldn't mind paying more for a really nice quiet pump.

Thanks for you input!

Last edited:

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It best to have the water move slow in the sump area to give your skimmer a better chance to work.
BTW what are you keeping in the tank... As for corals?

I also agree with having the water moving slowed through the sump. I will be keeping most of my existing tank's corals in there which consist of some SPS, mostly acans zoas and rics, and a few other LPS and softies. I also will be getting more SPS once the new system is up.

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Mag pumps are quite but not as quite as ehiem pumps. But I've never had a Rhein pump so don't take my word for it. But deff don't go with a pump over 700 gpm. More flow then that is not needed. You have the power heads for the tank anyways.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mag pumps are quite but not as quite as ehiem pumps. But I've never had a Rhein pump so don't take my word for it. But deff don't go with a pump over 700 gpm. More flow then that is not needed. You have the power heads for the tank anyways.

you are talking about not going with a pump over 700gph at the invert of the return and not a pump that is rated at lets say 700 gph but after you overcome 4 ft of head is at 300 gph right?

here is an eheim flow rate chart:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/add_info.cfm?pCatId=4604

It looks like I should go for either the 1250 or 1260?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks Russ for the input. When you say that you should always have your overflow sized so that it can handle more flow than your returns, why is this so? Won't the return pump be the major determining factor for the amount of water getting pumped back into the display?
Yes, the return pump will determine the amount of flow into your display, absolutely right. However, 2 - 3/4" returns can handle the return flow of 600 gph EACH. That's where I got the 1200 gph from. The problem is that your overflow will not be able to handle more than 700 gph (that's what you mentioned). This is the reason you want to ALWAYS keep your overflow larger than your returns. If the pump is too large for the overflow it doesn't necessarily mean it is too large for the returns. Sending more water back to the tank than the overflow can handle means the excess water has only one place to go, over the sides of the tank onto the floor.

Where do you get your figure of 1200 gph for the dual returns? If I were to go with 2- 1/2" returns how would this affect the the gph? I was planning on putting a valve on each return so that I can adjust the flow as needed is this a redundant idea? Also I was planning for the inverts of the return lines into the tank to be higher than the invert of the overflow teeth.
My mistake....I thought I read that you were using two 3/4" Locline returns. As stated above, each 3/4" return can handle 600 gph. The flow rate for 1/2" Locline is approx. 400 gph. So two 1/2" return Locline can handle approx. 800 gph. This is much closer to your overflow of 700 gph and much safer.
Adding a ball valve to each 1/2" line will definitely help your design. Be aware that is just more backpressure on the pump causing you to have to upsize the pump that much more. Not a problem, just a factor you need to consider when sizing the pump appropriately.

Also the guys from GH said this when I asked if his 4-500 gph that he recommended is the rating of the pump or the flow at the invert of the return lines

"400-500 would be the actual flow rate, so head and plumbing losses would be considered"

The guys from GH are saying precisely what I'm saying. You need to consider the head (vertical lift) and plumbing (pvc backpressure) when you select the pump to adequately flow 400 gph through EACH of the two 1/2" Loclines.

which seemed low when you factor in the head it must overcome, but I don't have much experience.
Hopefully the above explains it well enough to overcome your lack of experience.

With all that said, what alterations would you recommend for my design and also what pump (that doesn't produce a lot of heat and is very quiet) would you recommend. I wouldn't mind paying more for a really nice quiet pump.

Thanks for you input!

See above in red.

Once again, without knowing the actual vertical height and number of plumbing fittings (just going with past experience from our installations)
I think your two 1/2" Loclines at a height of approx. 48" should be able to handle an Eheim 1262 or a bit larger with a Marineland Euro Utility Pump 4500. Both pumps are quiet, efficient and can handle the job.

Hope this helps,
Russ

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
See above in red.

Yes, the return pump will determine the amount of flow into your display, absolutely right. However, 2 - 3/4" returns can handle the return flow of 600 gph EACH. That's where I got the 1200 gph from. The problem is that your overflow will not be able to handle more than 700 gph (that's what you mentioned). This is the reason you want to ALWAYS keep your overflow larger than your returns. If the pump is too large for the overflow it doesn't necessarily mean it is too large for the returns. Sending more water back to the tank than the overflow can handle means the excess water has only one place to go, over the sides of the tank onto the floor.

My mistake....I thought I read that you were using two 3/4" Locline returns. As stated above, each 3/4" return can handle 600 gph. The flow rate for 1/2" Locline is approx. 400 gph. So two 1/2" return Locline can handle approx. 800 gph. This is much closer to your overflow of 700 gph and much safer.
Adding a ball valve to each 1/2" line will definitely help your design. Be aware that is just more backpressure on the pump causing you to have to upsize the pump that much more. Not a problem, just a factor you need to consider when sizing the pump appropriately.

The guys from GH are saying precisely what I'm saying. You need to consider the head (vertical lift) and plumbing (pvc backpressure) when you select the pump to adequately flow 400 gph through EACH of the two 1/2" Loclines.
I don't know why I am getting confused about this. I completely understand the theory of pumping more water into the display than the overflow can handle is a very bad idea.

This is what I am getting confused about:

When you said the above about select a pump to adequately flow 400 gph through each of the two 1/2" Loclines won't 800gph total flowing into the tank be too much for the overflow and result in a living room flood? This is the maximum scenario for the returns and being that the Eheim 1262 pump you suggested has a rating of 665gph at 4 ft split into two return gives you 330ish gph for each return which would not overwhelm the overflow but does not meet the 400 gph rate?

Do you want to try to keep your returns at max capacity? So then I would need a bigger overflow or smaller returns?

Hopefully the above explains it well enough to overcome your lack of experience.

Thanks for you input!

Once again, without knowing the actual vertical height and number of plumbing fittings (just going with past experience from our installations)
I think your two 1/2" Loclines at a height of approx. 48" should be able to handle an Eheim 1262 or a bit larger with a Marineland Euro Utility Pump 4500. Both pumps are quiet, efficient and can handle the job.

Hope this helps,
Russ

Check out my purple

You were right about my initial return measurements of 3/4", I was just throwing out the other option of 2- 1/2" returns once you brought up that the 3/4" might be too big. In the end the 2- 1/2" returns seems to be a better choice.

Last edited:

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

Then my mag 7 must be defective because everytime it runs it makes a lot noise.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: