masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
No different than putting a cocktail shrimp (sans cocktail sauce ;) ) into the tank to jump start the cycle. I'd much rather use the shrimp than subject a live, healthy fish to the stresses of an ammonia cycle.

For the record, I DO NOT AGREE WITH ANYONE USING LIVE FISH TO CYCLE A NEW TANK. I know there are many ways to do things correct and with success in this hobby. I respect all of those ways except one, using live fish to jump start an ammonia cycle.

If you'd like to discuss this aversion I have to keeping fish from being subject to a harmful, toxic, stressful and potentially fatal environment then you can PM me, email me, call me, snail mail me or send me smoke signals to make your futile attempt to convince me it is the proper, humane, acceptable, or appropriate way to introduce fish into a brand new system. Go for it. Give it your best shot. The ole college try. :banghead:

I'm done. Thank you all for bearing with me during my moment of temporary insanity. For I know not where I am, nor who I be.

God bless our Japanese brothers and sisters,
Russ

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Are we talking a fish from another set up that died, or a fish you put in there and killed due to toxicity and poor judgement (+1 on everything Russ said).

To answer your question, yes, if you put a dead fish (that hopefully died BEFORE you put it in the tank), it will create NH4 and bacteria that will help the tank cycle. You might want to put it in a media bag so you can remove it easier when it starts to really break down and get nasty.

Don't just go by advice from your LFS. Please post on the forums if you have ANY questions about cycling a tank, we're all here to help :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: