MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 60g rimless cube. Question...Should I place any foam (or something else) under the tank (on top of the ply wood)? it sits almost perfect. To about a 1/64th gap here and there?

Also would you test it out doors first? I never had a rimless so I am concerned...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Some folks put foam under them, some use a thin layer of cork. It is always best to be sure that all edges of the tank are in contact with the surface below and it is important that the tank be as level as possible.

If you are concerned if it will hold water, then do a test outdoors to ease your mind.

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks put foam under them, some use a thin layer of cork. It is always best to be sure that all edges of the tank are in contact with the surface below and it is important that the tank be as level as possible.

If you are concerned if it will hold water, then do a test outdoors to ease your mind.

Cork.... I like that...

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i got home and broke out the straight edge. The stand sags about 1/16 in the center. Sag is good I guess so the pressure remains on the sides like with a rimmed tank.

around the perimeter there is about 1/62nd to 1/64th here and there... I did find some excess silicone under the tank and scrapped it... Got 90% but even after several razor blades there is some razor stubble.

Placed the tank on a piece of armstrong underlayment and it will sit there until I am good to go... The standard seems to be 1/2 inch rigid foam... I guess I will go with that.

Now the question seams to be should I try to correct that dip in the center of the ply wood? I am thinking not.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
is the dip because a bit of water got on it and warped it, or is the stand actually sagging? i would just make sure that not only does the tank hold water, but that the stand will hold the tank. in my experience every time i have moved a stand i have screwed it up somehow.

as for the gap, the reason to put the foam down is that it should help even out those gaps.

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water. new wood...

Probably just a craftsmanship issue...

This stand would easily hold 2000 pounds and my tank is likely to be between 510 and 800

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: