Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I am about to embark on my second saltwater nano tank. I gave my sister my first tank (Eclipse System 12). She wants to do a fish only tank. When I started out about 2 years I did it without knowing anything. I want to get it right this time around from the get-go. I have read about the cycles that a tank goes through in its first 2-4 weeks, but still feel a bit unsure about it. I only bought her live sand today because the live rock that the store was selling was $14.99 and looked like poopy. I should probably mention that this tank is in Ohio rather than in the city, so I don't really know any of the aquarium stores out here like I do in the city.

I will start off by letting you know everything that I have compiled for her to start the tank...

Eclipse system 12 (12 gallon tank with built in carbon filter)
stock lighting (I believe compact flourescent?)
150 watt heater (rated for 10-20 gallon tanks)
~15 lbs of caribsea sand
Instant Ocean salt
basic hydrometer
basic strip test kits (API) (I wanted it to be as easy as possible for her, hence
no real testing kits if possible)

Could someone please explain to me the cycles that the tank will go through and what I need to do in order to get the water correct for fish inhabitants. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
yeah i figured she'll eventually get a small cleaner shrimp. 1 or 2 small clowns, maybe a small goby or something, a few s/m nassarius snails and a few small crabs. for the time being nothing is going in there for a few weeks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: