FamilyReef

NOOB FISH GUY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank a 20 gallon, I know nothing big. I would like to know I found these white wierd shaped stars in my tank. I just got into zoas as they are called. ( I wonder why they call them that) and I would like to know if they stars are harmfull or not. I never had a reef before just fish only when I was single then all the fun begins. :arg:.

Any idea what they are called?

Thank you

PetShopBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
are they greyish, white? if they are, they may be asterinas. I had them before. they didn't bother my LPS but they seem to like to attach to my SPS, eventually bleaching them out.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
asterina starfish. They do nothing. Not harm corals really, but also don't eat algae
I wonder how they live.

I found this in an article:
Asterina sea stars have been accused, unfairly at times, for preying on coral tissue. While some individuals appear to eat some desirable reef invertebrates, the problem may be a simple matter of an opportunistic predator adapting to a change in the available, preferred foods (worms, algae).​

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: