Vern212

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Crazy me

Hi again, guys being that i already started runing my salt water tank with tap water and added the live sand and rock could i drain and refill with fillter water :eek:

Last edited:

tlpmyd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
HOW MANY GALLONS IS THE TANK? IF ITS A SMALL TANK, AND YOU DONT HAVE ANY SALT WATER READY, SOME LFS SELL SALT WATER READY TO USE, THAT MIGHT BE YOUR BEST BET, BUT DONT DRAIN, ADD RODI WATER, THEN ADD SALT, YOU HAVE TO LET THE WATER MIX WITH THE SALT FOR ATLEAST 24HRS! SO IF YOU MAKE YOUR SALT WATER NOW, YOU COULD ADD IT TOMMOROW..sorry for the caps just realized it. in the meantime start doing alot of research on marine parameters. good luck!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Yea you just added a lot of total dissolved solids to your tank and it is leeching into your live rock.
I would replace it with the good stuff.

What do you plan on doing with the tank? Reef? FOWLR?
How many gallons?

Vern212

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello i started my 37tall reef tank i dident no u couldent use tap water i already added salt live rock and sand can i change all the water to filter water and sould i get rid of the rock and sand please hlep

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Don't go crazy over tap water thinking your screwed. So many people still use tap because they do not want to buy an ro. I been reefing for the past 7 years and just this year started using ro water. I always used tap. Don't stress. Over time you may want to do water changes with ro water only and top off with just ro water. It will be fine. My whole tank I have started with all tap water and cruddy instant ocean. Is now running esv salt and every water change every week is ro water. It's all good buddy.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the reason you want to use a ro-di is to remove all impurities from the water, tap is fine for a fowler system, but alot of times tap contains phosphates, nitrates and more, are you using phosban or carbon ? or how about a complete equiptment list of what your using

Vern212

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey i got some info about my tap water problem is tap fine for fowler i have a 30 gallon tall with cascade can filter up too 100g allon and a aqua clear 30gl the cascade is filled with sponge carbon and live rock i also added live sand and rock to the tank and its been runing for 24 hours on tap

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Tap is fine for a Fish only setup. Just know, that if you choose to run tap now and then later convert too reef that your rock and sand may hold and actually leech unwanted phosphate and or metals caused from the initial TAP.. Tap may also cause algae problems.

People successfully have reefs with tap as well, RO is just proven to be healthier for a reef.

I personally use Distilled water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: